Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times

Advertisements

I find booing your own team pretty lame. Suck it up. Be a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I find booing your own team pretty lame. Suck it up. Be a fan.
I completely disagree. In any other workplace, if you do poorly, you get "booed" figuratively. You get written up, or talked to or put on a performance improvement plan. It is very, very difficult getting on a professional sports team. These are the best of the best. Sure, everyone has bad days. Players have errors, foul, etc. But when poor play is consistent, the amount of support and kudos can and should wane. There's only so many "aw shucks" and "maybe next year" some fans can tolerate.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 AM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 993,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I completely disagree. In any other workplace, if you do poorly, you get "booed" figuratively. You get written up, or talked to or put on a performance improvement plan. It is very, very difficult getting on a professional sports team. These are the best of the best. Sure, everyone has bad days. Players have errors, foul, etc. But when poor play is consistent, the amount of support and kudos can and should wane. There's only so many "aw shucks" and "maybe next year" some fans can tolerate.
I concur 100%.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
On post#15 one eyed jack makes a good point about teams who haven't won a championship in 35 years, namely the Detroit Lions. Their last NFL championship was in 1957. 50 years without a Lombardi trophy has to wear on the season ticket holders. When Barry Sanders abruptly retired in 1999, it was no secret that he questioned the Lions commitment to winning after Wayne Fontes was shown the door. When a club goes that long and continuously make boneheaded decisions, the media and the fans are going to let them have it.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'm certainly going to boo an obviously bad decision or a messed-up play.

Except of course if the bad decision or messed-up play is executed by the opposing team.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
In Philly, sports fans are quick to boo a player if he doesn't hustle hard or whiffs on a clutch play. But they're just as quick to cheer him on if he does the opposite.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Even more reason to boo them is because youre paying their ATROCIOUSLY high salaries. If theyre not gonna play the sport on the level youre paying them, then screw em! When there is no effort put forth into a team's play it just makes it that much easier to boo them. Khabibulin gets booed all the time at Hawks games, he's given up goals that a 6 year old couldve blocked. You gotta voice your displeasure sometimes. And here in Chicagoland, were all too familiar with teams with record-breaking losing streaks. Ive fricking had it!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
In Philly, sports fans are quick to boo a player if he doesn't hustle hard or whiffs on a clutch play. But they're just as quick to cheer him on if he does the opposite.

I figured Philly would be mentioned in this thread at some point. Philly fans are real fans, they demand effort for their money. Which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. Which is why guys like Bobby Abreu were not really well-liked in Philly despite his good stats....he's not hard-nosed and wasn't exactly a guy who would run out a ground ball or crash into a fence to save a game......while guys like Aaron Rowand, Jim Eisenreich, Jim Thome, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, etc etc have been Philly fan favorites since they play the game all-out and will push themselves to make big plays and they play the game the right way. Aaron Rowand ran into a fence and broke his nose to make a potential game-saving catch....I've even heard the New York media, since Abreu has been with the Yankees, say that Abreu plays the outfield like the fence is on fire...he won't go near it.

Abreu might bet booed in Philly, but when Jim Thome returned with the White Sox, he got a standing ovation. I'm positive Rowand will get a standing ovation as well when he returns to Philly this year as a San Francisco Giant.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 03-03-2008 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
I guess the difference is that I grew up in an area without many pro teams. Therefore, we all grew up on high school and college sports. I wouldn't boo teams on those levels, and I guess I carried that sensibility to pro games, too. I don't get any joy out of booing, and could do without lines of drunk dudes behind me screaming expletives at their own team, as well. Just a matter of personal preference. I guess I'm down with solidarity when it comes to sports.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,335 times
If you're a Knick fan like me by all means yes. http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/2.gif (broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/4.gif (broken link)
http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/9.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports