Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think the TS is talking about technique, and game tactics. I too am curious about that. It seems learning to rollerblade is harder than ice skating.

And also how does one crossover to the other. Roller is obviously cheaper. You can play on the streets. But I wonder, will it help with you ice hockey.
They carry over fairly well. The difference is comparable to squash vs racquetball or tennis...

Rollerblading is good offseason practice for ice skating. The main difference is that you have lateral give in ice, but no lateral give on rollerblades on pavement. Your transitions from backwards to forwards are a bit different, stopping is a bit different, but they carry over very well. The essentials of skating remain unchanged.

Roller hockey is played with four skaters instead of five. This mildly changes the tactics but not drastically. They do play with a puck in the sanctioned leagues, but in pickup games balls are used commonly as well.

I don't think they have icing stoppages in roller hockey.

Checking is a penalty in most leagues with roller hockey.

There isn't much difference in tactics, skills, etc...passing, stick handling, shooting, speed are all important, and the skills transfer over closely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They carry over fairly well. The difference is comparable to squash vs racquetball or tennis...

Rollerblading is good offseason practice for ice skating. The main difference is that you have lateral give in ice, but no lateral give on rollerblades on pavement. Your transitions from backwards to forwards are a bit different, stopping is a bit different, but they carry over very well. The essentials of skating remain unchanged.

Roller hockey is played with four skaters instead of five. This mildly changes the tactics but not drastically. They do play with a puck in the sanctioned leagues, but in pickup games balls are used commonly as well.

I don't think they have icing stoppages in roller hockey.

Checking is a penalty in most leagues with roller hockey.

There isn't much difference in tactics, skills, etc...passing, stick handling, shooting, speed are all important, and the skills transfer over closely.
This sounds about right. I've been playing ice hockey since I was a kid (played travel extensively until my mid teens) and I agree. The techniques are more or less the same. The main difference is stopping. Ice skating also involves a lot more edge work. To put it into perspective, I learned to ice skate at around 3. I got my first roller blades at 5. No one had to teach me how to roller blade. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but the basics were the same.

To this day, I do find rollerblading to be slightly more difficult, probably due to the fact that on ice one can "dig" into the surface for rapid changes in direction, quick stops, sharp turns, etc. Rollerblades always feel a little bit more "slippery" ironically.

But it has always been a good thing for me to rollerblade outside when not ice skating. It involves the use of the same muscles, and basically the same movements.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports