Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that during the medal ceremonies, many US athletes don't seem to know the words to the anthem of the United States. They might know them, but often they are barely lipping parts of the song or you might see one sing only the last few words. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, but my opinion is either sing it or don't. Either one is fine, otherwise you look like you don't know the words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I'm just happy they don't do the black power salute or some other such nonsense like in 1968 to try to embarrass the country. At least they try to show proper respect.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Here's my take. At the very least, they should put their hands over their hearts. Now, as choked up as I get watching them during the national anthem, I would imagine it would be pretty hard to actually sing the words "full on" without breaking down in tears. They are probably just trying to maintain composure on the stand.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Here's my take. At the very least, they should put their hands over their hearts. Now, as choked up as I get watching them during the national anthem, I would imagine it would be pretty hard to actually sing the words "full on" without breaking down in tears. They are probably just trying to maintain composure on the stand.
Yes, I totally agree. I could see them thinking how mad they are that they didn't win the gold, to all out joy for getting a medal. It is all about composure.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
You aren't supposed to put your hand over your heart during the anthem, only during the pledge. Not sure why this has caught on recently.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
I would third that as well. I've been in situations where I became the focal point of a crowd after accomplishing a goal, and it does get a bit overwhelming. I probably wouldn't all out sing the National Anthem, but I often find myself mouthing the words ever so slightly when I watch the ceremonies. In reality, some people just don't move their lips as much as others.

However, I have noticed some Olympians not paying much attention at all during the anthem. Whether I see someone sing the words (or mouth them) or not, when their attention is focused on other things other than this ceremonial tribute to our country, it does set me aback some. Overwhelmed or not, it is an important moment of achievement and each achieving Olympian could stay as focused on the anthem as they do their sport.

Thus far, they have all been very good. Especially those from other countries... I saw one Chinese Olympian mouth the words to their anthem with such intense focus in their eyes, that I almost cried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
You aren't supposed to put your hand over your heart during the anthem, only during the pledge. Not sure why this has caught on recently.
I'm not quite sure of this and haven't yet confirmed it, but you make an interesting point that I hope someone confirms from a historical standpoint. Placing one's hand over the heart doesn't seem like a bad thing at all during the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem. Unless you are in the military... I think they are required to salute from the beginning until the end of the anthem.

Any historical data and facts, anyone?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Not correct.

The way I understand it is that you are not required to place your hand over your heart if the US Flag is not displayed during the playing of the Anthem. If it is displayed, you face the flag, and place your hand over your heart.

Now, most places I've been that play the anthem (hockey games, baseball games, etc) display the flag. I place my right hand over my heart.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,323 times
I too am quite peeved over their inability to sing our National Anthem. I cannot accept the excuse of being too overwhelmed, because it seems that all the other nations who have had the honor to hear the national anthem played have been able to sing it with pride! I actually saw one of our multi-medal winners mouth to his 3 team members "I would sing but I don't know the words". Imagine that, not knowing the words to our National Anthem - hum, and they are representing our country to the World!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Yeah, it's in the U.S. Code, hand over heart for the national anthem. I played in the band in school so never learned that. Was only recently, in other threads I learned I was wrong.

As far as singing the national anthem, not a lot of people can actually sing it 'well', or even 'not very well'. I tend to sound more like RoseAnne. Seems more girls sing it than guys, so I guess that's a guy thing.

Judging from most televised sporting events it seems we've become a nation that pays someone to sing it for us. But then, that's just another way people make money, the American way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports