Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:08 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times

Advertisements

Just curious...am I the only person around that doesn"t like the Olympics?
Ouch, don't hit me!! Seriously, I dont watch it or talk about it. Don't know who any of the players are. It just doesn't matter to me.

Now if it was just made up of everyday John and Mary Does, that could get interesting. Like if you wanted to compete, all you would do is enter an application, saying what you want to do and you will come there on your own dime...... Then the 'committee' would literally pull names out of a bowl. And just let it be for whoever. I think it would be a hoot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Ouch, don't hit me!! Seriously, I dont watch it or talk about it. Don't know who any of the players are. It just doesn't matter to me.

Now if it was just made up of everyday John and Mary Does, that could get interesting. Like if you wanted to compete, all you would do is enter an application, saying what you want to do and you will come there on your own dime...... Then the 'committee' would literally pull names out of a bowl. And just let it be for whoever. I think it would be a hoot

Why talk about it in here then.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I think there are plenty of every day John and Mary Does competing. That is how most people start in America. At the level of t-ball, little league, pop warner football, etc. China has blue-printed Russia's format of making olympians from a structured national program which is far different from the American way.

Then some people just naturally progress to the world stage due to talent and dedication.

There are senior olympics and plenty of church leagues in various sports which are comprised of John Q. Public. The Olympics is just on a global scale.

Don't feel bad, there are a lot of people who simply don't care for sports in general, and many just don't get the appeal of the olympics.

Personally, I don't care for major league baseball or the NBA. But I do enjoy attending a both sporting events because it is night and day from watching one on the telly.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Thank you redbird,
I guess what you mentioned about attending is maybe what it is more with me.I appreciate you saying that... I kinda like seeing sports in person actually, but watching on TV, I guess I get sidetracked Maybe being there is a key ingredient. Now that i have thought about it!
I know my first college game was at FSU a few yrs. ago, and it was FANTASTIC...the chief coming out and throwing the spear down, and the whole stadium felt like it was levitatiing with the roar of the crowd.
Maybe it is a TV thing.

What I sorta ment about John and Mary Does, were people who maybe had no idea how to do that stuff...maybe I have watched too much American Idol tryouts

Old 08-19-2008, 08:36 PM

sorry matty, maybe it should have been under garden? my bad

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Nope, and I'm a sports fan, but just because I'm a sports fan doesn't mean I enjoy every single sport out there. I just don't care about the Olympics at all, never have. I'm ready for them to be over with.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 AM

318 posts, read 934,319 times
Not everyone is going to like the Olympics but I'm sure there are a couple of things you enjoy. I cant stand Soccer so that is the only sport I have bypassed in the Olympics but I'm not overly excited for many others but because its the Olympics I can tolerate them. Its also good to see sports you don't usually see.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
I really can't stand the summer olympics with the exception of football. However, I love the winter games.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
Ack! You just blew my mind. You are crazy. How can you not like the Olympics? For shame. Seriously, I'm sure you're not alone in your indifference to them. Lots and lots of people don't like sports. I only like watching a few events. But, I don't think putting incompetent athletes in would be interesting at all. The Olympics is supposed to be about the best athletes in the world. Watching Barbara Sue attempt a tumbling run when she can't even do a summersault or a bunch of overweight, short people try to spike a volleyball wouldn't be very interesting. At least, not for more than a couple seconds.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
I ran track, cross country, enjoy biking and swimming, and don't mind watching gymnastics. So for me they interest me because more often than not some world records are broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports