Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 06:03 PM

214 posts, read 260,960 times

Advertisements

But I called it , Dustin Johnson will not be playing for the Fed Ex Cup . That useless and rich loser can’t win a tournament with 48 golfers competing .Oh well , a couple of millions of dollars would suffice ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 02:33 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
I see a list of a 8-10 names that could take turns winning these LIV events. R. Fowler needs to contact LIV immediately and ask if there are any contracts left for him to consider. The latest to join was B. Watson and he got $50M.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
Norman was just interviewed and said they are closed. He said he's getting phone calls from many ayers inquiring about making the jump but they will not take anyone else.maybe next year???
In the previous events a few spots were left open. "Captain picks" that let others slip in or a series of Asian events which gives a couple open spots. Norman may have a couple of "at large" picks that he can choose.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:52 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Tiger only wants to play the majors at this point. LIV is exhibition golf, 3 day exhibitions, nobody is cut, everybody gets paid.

'' Tiger Woods turned down an offer that Greg Norman says was "somewhere in that neighborhood” of $700 million to $800 million to take part in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf series.''

Not the player he was. Just the fact that he is playing a specific tournament, the ticket sales can double. He still draws a crowd.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Looks like things are getting juicier....

https://golf.com/news/phil-mickelson...r-revelations/

I'm not a lawyer and have no clue on how valid these accusations are. However, what did stick out to me is the "earning" comparison between PGA Tour and other sports like NFL. Seems apples to oranges to me. Strictly speaking in terms of earning from playing the sport (so no endorsements, etc.) - NFL (and other major team sports) are paid a salary.

Golfers, like tennis players, rely on winning tournaments. In comparison, Djokovic made just north of $9mm last year. Rahm won just shy of $8mm. Not exactly a huge difference.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:04 AM

Here is what I believe all the LIV players want. They want to play their 14 tournament schedule (or even less than 14 if they still get to keep their sign up dollars), the four majors if they are qualified on exempt, the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup if they earn a spot on those teams, and The Champions Tour to fall back on when they are alot older. They could care less about the other PGA Tour events.

Mickelson not being able to reapply for PGA status until March 2024?
The PGA knew Phil was not going to sit out for close to two years.

John Daly. Sadly he wanted to play LIV and Norman told him there were not spots and that John was too old? What a joke. Daly is only 56 and a two time major champion. He wanted his son to caddie for him.
Will Phil be kicked out in June 2026 when he is age 56? No chance. There must be more to the Daly story. Norman made spots for those he wanted to make spots for.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:38 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I believe this court ruling is significant. There will obviously be other legal challenges and this ruling will be referenced in future rulings. I have no idea what gives the LIV players the idea that they can simply ignore the rules the PGA has very clearly in place and continue to play on the PGA tour. They can't and they won't.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:03 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
What a wild playoff. Congrats to Zalatoris on finally getting that monkey off his back. Glad his caddie was able to talk him into just dropping.

And more example of why more rules of golf needs to be updated w/ Cam Smith. I mean, yea, that seems like a pretty simple rule that he/his caddie should have realized. But that doesn't keep it from being an archaic/stupid rule.

Perhaps LIV can set itself more apart by eliminating some of these SMH rules.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What a wild playoff. Congrats to Zalatoris on finally getting that monkey off his back. Glad his caddie was able to talk him into just dropping.
I don't follow some of the names and I did not realize that Zalatoris had finished 6th in a recent US Open and 2nd is three other majors.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:15 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Watched the first Saudi 'tournament.' The WWF was more interesting and had more dignity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports