Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I heard an interesting segment on local talk radio today about this subject so I figure I will post the question on here.

A local sport talk guy today was slamming "adults" who wear team jerseys. He was saying that its immature and losers wear jerseys. Guys/gals who never had a chance to excel in sports etc etc etc. Needless to say there were a ton of callers ripping right back at him. What are your thoughts? Do wear a jersey of your favorite team?

Discuss
The football I pay attention to, college football in the American south, it is mostly 12-year-olds who wear jerseys to the games. A small minority of adults would wear something like a football jersey, probably with some jorts, a mullet, a goatee, and a camelback full of Fighting C*ck 103 proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
First, radio guys will take that kind of position merely to stoke a food fight because conflict sells. That is why the three cable news channels are basically all food fight all the time.

If someone wants to wear a jersey because he likes a team or a player that's fine. Actually, it's none of my business because they aren't hurting anything.

What I really hate are those knee length shorts (they use to be called board shorts) men are wearing these days with tennis shoes and no socks. Makes me nauseous because it looks gross. But again, if that's what they want to wear it's not up to me to tell them they can't.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I heard an interesting segment on local talk radio today about this subject so I figure I will post the question on here.

A local sport talk guy today was slamming "adults" who wear team jerseys. He was saying that its immature and losers wear jerseys. Guys/gals who never had a chance to excel in sports etc etc etc. Needless to say there were a ton of callers ripping right back at him. What are your thoughts? Do wear a jersey of your favorite team?

Discuss
I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I also think its hypocritical for some ******* who has some personal beliefs/pet peeves to try and down other people for their free will and choice on how to support an athlete/team. Also hypocritical for talking trash about people in a studio. How manly.

I personally don't wear jerseys other than at the ballpark on occassions. I may have not made it to the pros, but that was never an ambition of mine. But who says you have to be a professional athlete in order to excel in sports? There are many grown up people out there, including myself, that partake in sports and work out regularly that I consider as athletic as anyone else. We may not make millions of dollars for it, but few do.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
that is stupid, the radio guy must had a bad incident wearing a jersey that embarassed him.

I have several jerseys that I wear occasionally, at work we have jersey days and everyone wears their team jerseys, I see nothing wrong wearing a jersey, its showing support for you team just like by wearing a t-shirt or ballcap.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
I have baseball, soccer, football, and basketball jerseys.

Aside from the soccer jersey, I only wear the rest at games. And in the case of the basketball ones - at work.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
I have 3 jerseys that I can choose to wear on game day.

#43 Polamalu WHITE for away games
#43 Polamau BLACK for home games
#36 Bettis Black--I've retired this one but still like to wear it occasionally.

My puppy has a #43 Polamalu BLACK doggie jersey as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I wear my Brian Leetch NY Rangers sweater (jersey) out on the weekends in the winter. I'll also wear some of the ones that I wore when I played.

I also like when my DW wears my hockey jerseys. She says they're really comfortable to wear around the house in the chilly months.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I have 3 jerseys that I can choose to wear on game day.

#43 Polamalu WHITE for away games
#43 Polamau BLACK for home games
#36 Bettis Black--I've retired this one but still like to wear it occasionally.

My puppy has a #43 Polamalu BLACK doggie jersey as well.
Interesting development than about the Polamalu injury, maybe it's not the Madden curse at all. Maybe...it's...Youuuuuuuu!!

Madden curse strikes again - Video Games - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4464288 - broken link)

WE should do an experiment, could you go out and buy an armful of Ben Roethlisberger jerseys.

a witch! a witch!

YouTube - monty python-witch scene

Old 09-17-2009, 05:31 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
I wear a jersey on occasion, because I want to; not cause of anyone else's belief.

Granted it's super huge on me, and I do tend to swim in it, but it's comfy, and 5 am showing support to my team.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I wear the following to work, at the mall, at the bowling alley, at the BBQ house, at my friend's house, etc... with little to no shame:

Indianapolis Colts Home 88 - Marvin Harrison
Indiana Pacers road (blue) 25 - Brandon Rush
Detroit Tigers road (gray) 15 - Brandon Inge
Nashville Predators pre lockout home 17 - Scott Hartnell - He was traded long ago, but they don't sell a lot of Preds gear in Indianapolis, and I prefer the old jerseys anyway.

Anyone who has a problem with this can feel free to make some friends to deal with their own low self esteem issues *or* call the WAAAAHHHHHHH-bmulance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports