Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

The world's Top 10 most popular team sports - Sportingo (http://www.sportingo.com/all-sports/a11587_worlds-top-most-popular-team-sports - broken link)

Do you agree with this list from Sportingo.com??

1. Soccer/ football
2. Cricket
3. Basketball
4. Baseball
5. Rugby
6. Field hockey
7. Volleyball
8. Ice hockey
9. American/ Canadian football
10. Australian football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The world's Top 10 most popular team sports - Sportingo (http://www.sportingo.com/all-sports/a11587_worlds-top-most-popular-team-sports - broken link)

1. Soccer/ football
2. Cricket
3. Basketball
4. Baseball
5. Rugby
6. Field hockey
7. Volleyball
8. Ice hockey
10. Australian football
Tennis and golf would seem to be more popular worldwide than volleyball and Aussie Rules football.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Tennis and golf would seem to be more popular worldwide than volleyball and Aussie Rules football.
Team. Doubles and Ryder Cup-type golf wouldn't really apply.

Is cricket so widely played in old English colonies, particularly in India, that it would be more popular than baseball? That's the only way I can see that cricket would be more popular than baseball because it would seem that American population alone would make baseball more popular...

Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Team. Doubles and Ryder Cup-type golf wouldn't really apply.

Is cricket so widely played in old English colonies, particularly in India, that it would be more popular than baseball? That's the only way I can see that cricket would be more popular than baseball because it would seem that American population alone would make baseball more popular...

There is 7 billion people on the planet and the US only has about 600 million of them. Cricket is played all over the world. Everyone I know that is from a different country is a cricket fan. My friends that have been in the military and stationed in other countries are even Cricket fans. I believe it is far more popular than most Americans realize.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I don't think cricket is more popular than basketball - i think this one is chalked up to the commonwealth bias - basketball wasn't popular at all in england when I was living there and it very well could be the same in other commonwealth countries

india is a huge demographic and cricket is very popular there

however, let's not forget that places like china are booming with hoops

here is an article recently about it

Basketball proves to be a net success (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2009-05/18/content_7786782.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Now 89 percent of Chinese people aged 15 to 54 are aware of the NBA, according to findings in a 2008 survey conducted by leading global market researcher TNS.

China is the NBA's largest international market and has grown at an annual pace of 30 to 40 percent in recent years.
Quote:
Chinese basketball fans have also made the NBA.com/china the country's largest basketball website. Last season it attracted 22 million monthly unique visitors, up 15 percent from the previous season.
Last year, the 10th most popular search on Google in China was the NBA
I read an article from 2008 about them building 600,000 new basketball courts in china - just insane growth

throw in that basketball and soccer are the most played sports in the US and it's big appeal throughout the US & Canada - coupled with it's extreme popularity throughout the mediterranean countries and russia and popularity into south america as well that's a whole lot of grasp

there is also popularity between genders as well, which boosts it's appeal - the russian womens league is probably the tops in the world

i'd put basketball at #2 and getting firmer every year

I'd also put american football above ice hockey - basically due to it's strength in the US, emerging popularity in Japan and other asian nations, presence in places like germany - both are pretty limited in scope and definitely are niche sports - but the NFL draws incredible worldwide numbers for it's events and there is more interest for it in some european countries than ice hockey - the NHL is starting to play some games in europe to start the season and while successful, they can't match the NFL games in london, mexico city, etc

although honestly I think you could have a big 3 in soccer, basketball, cricket - a big drop to baseball - and then the rest in a pretty arguable bunch

this is also for team sports - so popular individual sports like racing, golf, tennis, biking (even if there are teams in both bicyle and auto racing...) don't really apply - even if they would probably jump into the 3-4 spot without much doubt

Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There is 7 billion people on the planet and the US only has about 600 million of them. Cricket is played all over the world. Everyone I know that is from a different country is a cricket fan. My friends that have been in the military and stationed in other countries are even Cricket fans. I believe it is far more popular than most Americans realize.
I know cricket is all over due to the British colonial influence and the fact they once pretty spanned the world, but like I said, I thought that perhaps India alone would account for the difference.

However, baseball is also extremely popular in quite a number of Asian countries...and very populated Asian countries, as well as many Latin American nations with nearly zero British, i.e., cricket, influence.

...and your US population is off...we only have about half that population (about 308 million here) thus even fewer baseball players.

I can see volleyball being bigger than ice hockey...volleyball is pretty big in many Asian countries...not a lot of hockey played in India or Malaysia or China (with ginormous populations), but there is a lot of volleyball there. Hockey is a tough sport for really poor people to get involved in...volleyball much less so. Well, hockey is tough the way most Americans (and for all I know, Canadians now) play it now, with all the gear and in rinks. When I was a kid, it often was played on a pond, with a stick off a tree and a rock and no skates...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I disagree with that list.
What IDIOT would put Field Hockey and Volleyball ahead of Ice Hockey ???
I personally think, . . . based on worldwide fans COMBINED with revenues generated it should be:
1. Soccer/ football
2. Baseball
3. American/ Canadian football
4. Ice hockey
5. Cricket
6. Rugby
7. Basketball
8. Curling
9. Australian football
10. Volleyball
Who watches Field Hockey ???
I like American Football but you've got to be joking right?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Cricket is taking off in places I would never of though it would be played, with this new T20 format of cricket, it will only grow.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
I would say.....
1. Soccer/football
2. Cricket
3. Field Hockey
4. Tennis
5. Volleyball
6. Table Tennis
7. Basketball
8. Rugby
9. Ice Hockey
10. Baseball

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

1. Soccer/ football
2. Cricket
3. Basketball
4. Baseball
5. Rugby
6. Field hockey
7. Volleyball
8. Ice hockey
10. Australian Football
Why have you got "Australian Football" at number 10, when Sportingo's list has Rugby League in that spot?

Rugby league has a much larger worldwide following, than what Australian-rules could ever hope to have!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 03-13-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports