Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,756,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I'd like to see Cleveland get a Major League Baseball team and an NFL team.
That's a great idea. They can call the MLB team the Indians, and the NFL team the Browns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 AM

352 posts, read 1,006,126 times
Seattle or Portland should get an NHL team, Montreal should get back a MLB team, and LA should get back an NFL team.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,528,474 times
Going back to this post. How about the MLB capitalizing where they are the most popular? How about teams in Hartford, Rochester, and Newark? Also, another team in Canada is a most! Maybe Vancouver? Charlotte needs a team ASAP, move the Rays there!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,057,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb_guy View Post
You didn't read the post right. Go back and re-read, and you'll see how it makes sense for Des Moines. Indy already has professional sports, and Des Moines does not. For the category that Des Moines fit in, Indy did not. That's not to say that I don't agree with you, it's to say that it didn't fit the criteria I was looking for.
I still don't see a draw there. Those middle-class citizens could easily root for Chicago teams...or even teams in MN or WI.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times
I say MLB in Raleigh/Durham area.
Charlotte already has NASCAR

Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 AM

29 posts, read 54,013 times
I would personally love to see a professional sports franchise or two in Virginia. Virginia has over 8,000,000 people and no teams at all (even though the Redskins' HQ is in Ashburn). I would consider Richmond (metro pop. 1,200,000) more of a basketball city, and I'm sure a franchise would do well there. Richmond has 10 Fortune 500 companies in its metro area, so corporate support wouldn't be a problem. The Richmond Coliseum is a piece of crap, though. If a franchise would want to locate to the city, the Coliseum needs to have a major upgrade or be knocked down and replaced with something better. The Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, etc) wouldn't be bad for a football (American or otherwise) team. Its metro population is comparable to Charlotte (1,700,000) and there are 4 Fortune 500 companies based in the area. The 7 cities in the region need to pool their resources and cooperate (something they haven't been known to do) to build a stadium, as the region's biggest stadium only holds 30,000 (William and Mary football stadium). Baseball and hockey in Virginia most likely won't happen. Most people love the Washington Capitals and the Hurricanes aren't far away. I don't see much in the way of fan support of baseball (even though the Richmond Braves didn't do too horribly). On a side note, I'm sure that people in Roanoke would love more minor-league teams.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM

371 posts, read 598,016 times
Cities in general that deserve some type of team: Louisville, El Paso, Albuquerque, Honolulu, and maybe Anchorage - if it was a summer sport and there weren't more than two games a week.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin96 View Post
Cities in general that deserve some type of team: Louisville, El Paso, Albuquerque, Honolulu, and maybe Anchorage - if it was a summer sport and there weren't more than two games a week.
Anchorage has a travel issue. I don't see major leagues sports coming there anytime soon. It may also have issue with having enough middle and high high income people to support a major league sports franchise.

Kentucy has the issue of not enough middle and high income wage earners to support a major league team. Now granted the Kentucy Colonels were once one of the great franchises of the old ABA but that was 40 years ago.

Honolulu is another citie where travel time and expense come into play.

El Paso, not enough middle and high income wage earners. Ditto for Albuquerque. They've have Triple A baseball for years. If the city was a viable spot for major league sports they'd have a franchise by now.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,665,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonfan96 View Post
I would personally love to see a professional sports franchise or two in Virginia. Virginia has over 8,000,000 people and no teams at all (even though the Redskins' HQ is in Ashburn). I would consider Richmond (metro pop. 1,200,000) more of a basketball city, and I'm sure a franchise would do well there. Richmond has 10 Fortune 500 companies in its metro area, so corporate support wouldn't be a problem. The Richmond Coliseum is a piece of crap, though. If a franchise would want to locate to the city, the Coliseum needs to have a major upgrade or be knocked down and replaced with something better. The Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, etc) wouldn't be bad for a football (American or otherwise) team. Its metro population is comparable to Charlotte (1,700,000) and there are 4 Fortune 500 companies based in the area. The 7 cities in the region need to pool their resources and cooperate (something they haven't been known to do) to build a stadium, as the region's biggest stadium only holds 30,000 (William and Mary football stadium). Baseball and hockey in Virginia most likely won't happen. Most people love the Washington Capitals and the Hurricanes aren't far away. I don't see much in the way of fan support of baseball (even though the Richmond Braves didn't do too horribly). On a side note, I'm sure that people in Roanoke would love more minor-league teams.
I, like you, would love to see a pro sports team that Virginia could call its own. But I doubt it would ever happen. Richmond has had numerous chances to support smaller league teams and they always fail. They have had several minor league hockey teams that have come and gone (Rifles & Renagades, to name just two). They couldnt agree on where to put a stadium, and lost the Braves (AAA baseball), which was really good for the city for 40+ years. A city the size of Richmond's size should be embarrased that they had to 'settle' for a AA team--like that makes the area legit . I know it was a women's basketball league, but Richmond didnt support the ABL team they had either. In short, I have come to the conclusion they cant/wont support a team.

As for Hampton Roads, you hit the nail on the head: The Seven Cities would never agree on anything. Where would you put the team? Norfolk--Where? Has the area supported ODU's football team? Virginia Beach? If you put the team in Hampton or Newport News, will people from the lower penisula (Chesapeake, VA Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth) travel there?

Now, I will say all this with one caveat: The region is supposed to get a UFL team next year, I think. If they support that, I will honestly be surprised.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 36,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Going back to this post. How about the MLB capitalizing where they are the most popular? How about teams in Hartford, Rochester, and Newark? Also, another team in Canada is a most! Maybe Vancouver? Charlotte needs a team ASAP, move the Rays there!
I would hate the Rays to move there, Tampa Bay has a lot of baseball fans. Everyone goes to the baseball games, since football games in TB and basketball games in Orlando are more expensive.

And I live near SF, where they have every sport, so can't complain. A GOOD football team nearby might be nice though lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports