Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times

Advertisements

THis is mainly for the guys here. In general, do you like having sports conversations with woman or would you rather keep those convos between guys only?

I ask b/c I often notice, when women speak on these things, they often dont do their homework, especially if you wanna talk history of a game. Or they tend to only like teams that everyone around them likes, or players who they think are cute (i.e Derek Jeter, Tom Brady ect...). I also find that they fully support or embrace any athlete who is gay.

Some give it an honest try and ask questions, but i really dont like explaining games and rules to an adult. I feel these things shouldve been learned from Dads, uncles, older bross. ect

Personally, as bad as it sounds, I prefer limit my sport conversations to my dudes.

Do you males feel the same?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
I know some women that are more sports savvy then some men. Personally, when I hear anyone make a statement like "they just don't make ball players like they use to" is enough to get me out of the conversation, regardless of the sex.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
THis is mainly for the guys here. In general, do you like having sports conversations with woman or would you rather keep those convos between guys only?

I ask b/c I often notice, when women speak on these things, they often dont do their homework, especially if you wanna talk history of a game. Or they tend to only like teams that everyone around them likes, or players who they think are cute (i.e Derek Jeter, Tom Brady ect...). I also find that they fully support or embrace any athlete who is gay.

Some give it an honest try and ask questions, but i really dont like explaining games and rules to an adult. I feel these things shouldve been learned from Dads, uncles, older bross. ect

Personally, as bad as it sounds, I prefer limit my sport conversations to my dudes.

Most women who aren't interested in a sport will probably just go for the teams people like or players they think are cute. However, those women who are fanatics of a particular team often are very knowledgeable. I have friends who are fanatics of teams and they tend to know more than the men.

I don't have a great deal of interest in any of our Australian football teams right now so if someone did ask me about anything about them, I wouldn't know too much but I probably wouldn't even talk about them at all really because I wouldn't want to show my ignorance. However, I was particularly fond of the Brisbane Lions (AFL team) back in the late 90s and at the time, I was very knowledgeable about them because when I'm interested in something, I research it and read up on it.

My main sports interest is horse racing (see another post on this subforum) and I think I know quite a bit about Australian/NZ horse racing but admittedly not much about US horse racing and I think I know a bit about odds etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I know some women that are more sports savvy then some men. Personally, when I hear anyone make a statement like "they just don't make ball players like they use to" is enough to get me out of the conversation, regardless of the sex.
I think when women are really interested in a sport, they often do a lot of research and reading about it and thus they can often end up knowing more about the sports that many men.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I think when women are really interested in a sport, they often do a lot of research and reading about it and thus they can often end up knowing more about the sports that many men.
And of course lets not forget many women play or have played sports.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:

Sexist much?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Not for nothing, but you come off like the kind of guy I would avoid having a sports conversation with.

I know many people who casually follow/talk sports, they are going to be exposed to it to the level of their interest .... basically surface level and what is easy to obtain - this will be the popular teams, celebrity interest players, etc .... this is regardless of gender ..... these people I will talk to for a little bit, but it's not my most enjoyable ... generally harmless though

then you have the i'm an expert blowhards that really aren't an expert, that simply broadbrush statements and love to argue ......... the skip bayless impersonators .... i avoid them like the plague .... i do find that these are typically male

finally, there are enthusiasts that follow on a deeper level because they are genuinely interested in the sports and have been for a long time .... these conversations are enjoyable and feature both genders

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:

In general, I do feel the same. Your post of course has a sexist tone, but it's an honest question to induce an honest reply which I'm doing.

As in most everything, there are exceptions. A women friend of mine when we do the parlay/doyle football cards is the master at winning. She follows the football teams religiously and makes good money each football season on these bets. Other than her, I know of few that have any in depth knowledge of professional teams. There are women like my oldest daughter who can talk the game of basketball in detail (she played it through high school), but does not follow the major college or professional games.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not for nothing, but you come off like the kind of guy I would avoid having a sports conversation with.

I know many people who casually follow/talk sports, they are going to be exposed to it to the level of their interest .... basically surface level and what is easy to obtain - this will be the popular teams, celebrity interest players, etc .... this is regardless of gender ..... these people I will talk to for a little bit, but it's not my most enjoyable ... generally harmless though

then you have the i'm an expert blowhards that really aren't an expert, that simply broadbrush statements and love to argue ......... the skip bayless impersonators .... i avoid them like the plague .... i do find that these are typically male

finally, there are enthusiasts that follow on a deeper level because they are genuinely interested in the sports and have been for a long time .... these conversations are enjoyable and feature both genders
First of all, theres nothing wrong with Skip Bayless, hes entertaining. If you want basic sports coverage, watch ESPN news. Very cut and dry. Us types would probably avoid you too. You sound like your only happy with a sports convo if it goes your way without any argument.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
heh, a fan of bayless has zero room to talk about anyone being a knowledgeable our serious fan ...... You are doing women everywhere a favor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports