Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times

Advertisements

If you had to invent the perfect American sport it would have to have little action, but high scoring.
Loads of stoppages during the game for countless commercials, & of course have the overweight, steroid popping so called athletes, that Baseball & the NFL seem to be full of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
You like soccer?
So what?
Some people do...
Some don't.
If it's that good of a game,why does it have to be defended so vigorously?

And as to your criticism of my posting, I, like your wife and every other woman I'm sure that you've been with, am very disappointed by your performance.

Have a nice day, soccer clown
That's all you got?

You didnt just say you didnt like soccer. I could handle that. However, you slammed the sport using ignorance and false information. Anyone who does that is going to get called out any time.

All you did was come in here and throw some insults around. All that accomplishes is making yourself look foolish.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's all you got?

You didnt just say you didnt like soccer. I could handle that. However, you slammed the sport using ignorance and false information. Anyone who does that is going to get called out any time.

All you did was come in here and throw some insults around. All that accomplishes is making yourself look foolish.
LOL...you're joking,right?
I've played soccer...watched it live in Europe..and seen it on TV.
My opinions remain the same about the game: It's not very interesting..it has many minutes where nothing happens..and I don't care for it.
That's it.
Period.

If you do...then goody-gumdrops for you.
Most Americans do not.
It has never taken off here above a college-level.
And given the fact that most soccer fans have the same or similar attitudes that you are exhibiting in this forum,it likely never will.
But I could be wrong...
But wasn't almost 40 years when Pele came to NY to start a "soccer revolution" in the US?
Wonder what happened..?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM

167 posts, read 435,337 times
soccer isnt my cup of tea but I do get excited during the World Cup. The problem I have with soccer is that its just to long for me, i know baseball is slow and boring sometimes but 1-0 or 2-1 games are not as common in baseball than in soccer. In fact what really gets me into the World Cup has more to do with the international scope of the tournament than the actual games themselves

Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
LOL...you're joking,right?
No, I am not joking. All you did was come in here and throw insults around without providing any spec of intelligent conversation. That isnt a joke, that is exactly what you did.
Quote:
I've played soccer...watched it live in Europe..and seen it on TV.
My opinions remain the same about the game: It's not very interesting..it has many minutes where nothing happens..and I don't care for it.
That's it.
Period.
That's all you had to say; however, you didnt. You just threw some insults around.

Like I said before, I have no problem with people saying they dont care for soccer but dont throw around insults or show pure ignorance when doing it. Most people that slam soccer have never even watched a game.

Quote:
And given the fact that most soccer fans have the same or similar attitudes that you are exhibiting in this forum,it likely never will.
What attitude is that? You're the one throwing around insults and acting like you're 15.

Quote:
But I could be wrong...
But wasn't almost 40 years when Pele came to NY to start a "soccer revolution" in the US?
Wonder what happened..?
What happened? NASL was ran into the ground by having no business plan, having owners that were incompetent, and spending beyond their means. It had nothing to do with the sport itself. The NFL would have failed if they ran their business the way NASL did.

Anyone who thinks one player will start a revolution is a fool. That is like saying sending Tom Brady to Spain would start a football revolution in Europe.

MLS is a complete 180 from NASL and many business analyst will tell you that the MLS is the best ran sports league in the US.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
The problem I have with soccer is that its just to long for me,
Soccer games are shorter than baseball games, football games, and basketball games. They are over in 2 hours or less unless it is a knockout game and goes into extra time and PKs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
i know baseball is slow and boring sometimes but 1-0 or 2-1 games are not as common in baseball than in soccer.
Scoring in sports only takes a split second. When people watch sports, they dont watch for people scoring, they watch for everything that happens in between.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM

167 posts, read 435,337 times
[quote=RjRobb2;14363862]Soccer games are shorter than baseball games, football games, and basketball games. They are over in 2 hours or less unless it is a knockout game and goes into extra time and PKs.

When I mean longer I mean that the only breaks in soccer is during the half, and many time the halves arent exciting enough for e to watchthem continuosly

Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, I am not joking. All you did was come in here and throw insults around without providing any spec of intelligent conversation. That isnt a joke, that is exactly what you did.

That's all you had to say; however, you didnt. You just threw some insults around.

Like I said before, I have no problem with people saying they dont care for soccer but dont throw around insults or show pure ignorance when doing it. Most people that slam soccer have never even watched a game.

What attitude is that? You're the one throwing around insults and acting like you're 15.

What happened? NASL was ran into the ground by having no business plan, having owners that were incompetent, and spending beyond their means. It had nothing to do with the sport itself. The NFL would have failed if they ran their business the way NASL did.

Anyone who thinks one player will start a revolution is a fool. That is like saying sending Tom Brady to Spain would start a football revolution in Europe.

MLS is a complete 180 from NASL and many business analyst will tell you that the MLS is the best ran sports league in the US.
Whatever.
I hate soccer...but I like the jerseys.
And I won't have to worry about it growing any more popular than it currently is in my lifetime.
SO...I guess...I win!!! LOL

Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Whatever.
And I won't have to worry about it growing any more popular than it currently is in my lifetime.
LOL you fail....I guess

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Whatever.

You win?

You didnt provide a single compelling argument other than, "I hate soccer" or "nothing happens for long periods of time" which is completely false, there is always something happening.

Ever single valid point I raise, you failed to reply to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports