Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
College teams play to win, minor league teams develop talent for the major league club.

A lot of the minor league players are really pissed about where they are assigned, and how they are treated by the organization. College players represent their school.

I'd say you go to college games to watch the teams compete, you go to minor league games to watch specific players.

I usually attend Class A Midwest League games these days but I have also had season tickets at Class AAA International League games.

Cost of the games for single game tickets is fairly comparable. One advantage of certain NCAA programs is that for a very minimal fee, you can buy a season pass that will allow you to attend all non-football and non-basketball games.

NCAA teams play to win; most minor league games do BUT they do play more players as they want to evaluate talent. At the upper levels, many teams store "worn out" veterans who might be able to help the club in September but do not help the AAA team as much. Minor league clubs also get occasional visits from MLB players on rehab.

NCAA games are strictly a baseball game. Minor league games are much more of an event. At today's Beloit Snappers game (Class A - Minn. Twins), there is a promotion every half inning. It is far more appropriate for young kids. There are mascots and a lot of funthings going on.

In terms of talent, I would compare the NCAA Division I to low Class A - Midwest league. I would compare facilities but in both the NCAA and lower minors have some really phenomenal facilities (i.e., LSU, Dayton Dragons) and some really trashy facilities.

In all fairness, I will admit that the only college baseball games that I have attended recently was a UC-Irvine vs. Nevada series back in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports