Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251143_232816106744123_100000472053719_1018726_636 1606_n.jpg (broken link)

Friday we bought some outdoor furniture for our rear patio and front deck. It all wouldn't fit inside the car so I had to fit chairs and some other items as best I could in the trunk, bungee it in and the lid down as far as it would go to hold it. We then made three more stops for other shopping, leaving the car in the store parking lots with all this nice stuff just there for the taking. At no time were we the least bit concerned. Nor are we concerned about waking up one morning and finding our furniture, grill, etc. gone overnight.

This wouldn't be possible from whence we came. One of the many, many reasons we love being Ozarkers now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Friday we bought some outdoor furniture for our rear patio and front deck. It all wouldn't fit inside the car so I had to fit chairs and some other items as best I could in the trunk, bungee it in and the lid down as far as it would go to hold it. We then made three more stops for other shopping, leaving the car in the store parking lots with all this nice stuff just there for the taking. At no time were we the least bit concerned. Nor are we concerned about waking up one morning and finding our furniture, grill, etc. gone overnight.

This wouldn't be possible from whence we came. One of the many, many reasons we love being Ozarkers now!
And this surprises me? Many rural areas of the US are quite safe . You were just in California too long...

Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
And this surprises me? Many rural areas of the US are quite safe . You were just in California too long...
WAAAAAY too long!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The other day a lady was here at our tanning salon and she had left her son's birthday present out in the back of her pickup truck. A brand new (expensive) MX racing bike.

I couldn't help wondering how long it would have stayed there if she had been parked in Chicago, or Detroit, or Los Angeles, or even Houston.

A half an hour later she drove away. The bike was untouched and waiting for her.

I love living in the Ozarks too, mostly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Guess me and my family park in the wrong spots in Springfield,where nothing is safe where it can be seen and not even then.

brushrunner

Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Guess me and my family park in the wrong spots in Springfield,where nothing is safe where it can be seen and not even then.

brushrunner
Cities, decidedly not, including Springfield. Rural Ozark communities, yes in terms of trusting.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 52,820 times
Do you happen to live in one of those fancy gated communities here?

I have mentioned previously that we were robbed in the first weeks of moving here, along with others in the neighborhood, (it is a nice neighborhood, but not gated). I have since spoken to many people who have been robbed.

It is a common thing from the sounds of it, and I don't trust anything outside of value now. I don't lock my car because I learned that they will just bust in the windows. The guy who sold us a new window knew what happend without us even mentioning it.

Sure this is'nt Chicago, but don't be too trusting

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
This is why I love rural living. Can hardly wait to be there.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
25 years in CA, never been ripped off. Same with NY. Bikes and boats outside with no locks.
Have no problem leaving my doors or car unlocked in my neighborhood. I do not live in a gated community.

First week in Missouri: Lawnmower, Weedwhacker, leaf blower and other garden equipment was taken from a locked storage unit.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcuzHelives View Post
Do you happen to live in one of those fancy gated communities here?
Not at all. We're in a small, lakeside community down a couple of country roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
25 years in CA, never been ripped off. Same with NY. Bikes and boats outside with no locks.
Have no problem leaving my doors or car unlocked in my neighborhood. I do not live in a gated community.

First week in Missouri: Lawnmower, Weedwhacker, leaf blower and other garden equipment was taken from a locked storage unit.
St. Louis says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area