Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM

872 posts, read 2,030,225 times

Advertisements

I am a young college grad (22 years) and I took an offer from college to live in Washington State. For those of you contemplating a move to Springfield, I thought I would share my pros and cons of the area.

PROs-
+ Traffic doesn't really exist here.
+Apartments/housing are extremely cheap
+Groceries/utilities/gas are among the lowest in the country
+Cashew Chicken

CONs-

-Regardless of what you hear, Springfield isn't a "college town". It just isn't. For those of you who would like to argue...go to Mizzou during a homecoming game (or University of Arkansas for that matter) and then go to MSU's. No one really cares.

-Not a good business environment. Springfield has a few businesses: Bass Pro, Oreillys....and thats about it. You won't see Fortune 500 companies here and Springfield has a small impact on Missouri overall.

-Really, really boring. Springfield doesn't have much in the way for fun. The downtown area is a bit--underwhelming and it basically dead.

-Extremely conservative and usually is one of the towns that pick up on the latest research late. For example: Green energy (which most people don't believe in).

-Crime is growing pretty quickly.

My overall grade of Springfield:

Depends. If you are parents looking to escape the hustle and bustle of KC or STL and you are conservative? You will find Springfield to meet your every need and you will find a great house for a good price. For you: 8/10.

If you are someone aged 18-28 and liberal: 0/10

So it just kind of depends. For me,I am more of the second and there isn't any room for growth in a career in Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM

48 posts, read 111,232 times
What type of crime is growing?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisiri View Post
What type of crime is growing?
well there has been 15 murders in springfield this year...

Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
yes, Cashew Chicken is about the first thing we try to have when we visit! So funny you mentioned it!

I lived in Springfield for 20 years and you have described it fairly accurately although many people do love it there. You couldn't pry my sisters and their families except for 1 or 2, out of Greene County with a crowbar! If you love hunting and fishing, camping and lake activities, there are things to do. There is a very good symphony and little theatre for a small city, I will say that.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM

367 posts, read 765,916 times
Like most areas a person has to have a motive for relocating to the Ozarks. The benefits are as obvious as the shortcomings. If your jaded, pining for a more exciting atmosphere or don't feel welcome let the area be a speed bump on the way to greener grass elsewhere.

I agree with the OP that the area is better suited for the older generations. The good old boy network is reluctant to relinquish their grip on the inner workings of daily business.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 AM

971 posts, read 1,454,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Like most areas a person has to have a motive for relocating to the Ozarks. The benefits are as obvious as the shortcomings. If your jaded, pining for a more exciting atmosphere or don't feel welcome let the area be a speed bump on the way to greener grass elsewhere.

I agree with the OP that the area is better suited for the older generations. The good old boy network is reluctant to relinquish their grip on the inner workings of daily business.
The so called good old boy network are friends we grew up with and we know who we can depend on and who we can't. When hunting season opens some types of work waits, same way with fishing season. Some of us that is our only types of recreation we get. We don't necessarily have extended vacations.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM

367 posts, read 765,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
The so called good old boy network are friends we grew up with and we know who we can depend on and who we can't. When hunting season opens some types of work waits, same way with fishing season. Some of us that is our only types of recreation we get. We don't necessarily have extended vacations.
Your speaking for yourself. My original generalization is a fact. The cliques in the city and county governments is obvious to a transplant like myself. When things don't change in a positive manner only the GOBN benefits. It's one of the reasons Springfield is an expanding southern town with too many stagnant ideas, goals and long range plan.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM

914 posts, read 2,207,503 times
Quote:
The cliques in the city and county governments is obvious to a transplant like myself. When things don't change in a positive manner only the GOBN benefits.
Unlike cities such as Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis....

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM

971 posts, read 1,454,276 times
Quote:
Your speaking for yourself. My original generalization is a fact. The cliques in the city and county governments is obvious to a transplant like myself. When things don't change in a positive manner only the GOBN benefits. It's one of the reasons Springfield is an expanding southern town with too many stagnant ideas, goals and long range plan.
If the area is attractive to others, the GOBN must be doing something right. All too often the so called progressive transplants come and muck things up, leave for the GOBN to clean up their mess. IMO

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,696 times
Quote:
Move back to California then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area