Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,402 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to the Marshfield-Fair Grove area and have been looking for a church to attend. We have visited several, and although the people were nice, it isn't quite what we are used to. Our former church was casual (ie, no suits!), contemporary (ie, no hymns!), and non-traditional (ie, home groups instead of Sunday evening and Wednesday evening services). We really miss that and were wondering if anyone out there knows of any churches that similar to that? I know that there are devout believers in every type of congregation and I don't want to offend anyone...I'm just feeling a little "homesick". Any suggestions? We really would rather not drive all the way to Springfield but might end up doing that anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,546 times
Hi, Larson!

Welcome to the forum! I hope this post is just the first of many from you, as you become a part of our little CD MO family!

So, where did you move here from? Are you looking for a non-denominational church? Charismatic? Do you have a need for children's programs? We don't live in Marshfield but since we attend church in Rogersville, which is due south of Marshfield, we're in the same neck of the woods, so to speak.

My husband and I moved here from CA and experienced the same changes you mentioned. You did a great job expressing your needs without offending those whose needs are different! You earned a rep point from me for that!

I notice that you said you were in the Marshfield-Fair Grove area. It's funny. I never thought of them as one area but when I looked at the map, I realized that you must live out in the country between the two. Am I right? So, how far are you from Marshfield and what towns would you consider attending church in? Fair Grove? Strafford? Elkland? Niangua? Fordland? Rogersville? (The last two are South of Marshfield)

I don't know where God will lead you but I do know this...He brought you here so He has a church for you here. (I know you probably know that but it helps sometimes to hear it from someone else...a little confirmation, kwim?) I'll pray for you and hopefully, my research "talent" will be something God can use to help you find new places to try. Anyway, once I have more information, I will write you in a Direct Message here at the site. I think we'd both feel more comfortable discussing these things off list. If you want to respond to this post by Direct Message instead of here in the thread, just click on my name and a pull-down menu will give you the options to reach me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

MrsG

Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 AM

19 posts, read 55,069 times
What type of church are you looking for?

There is a growing church in Strafford that is raising money to build right now and meet in the Super 8 motel. I have family that attend, so I've visited a few times. It actually feels like a church even though it's in the Super 8 building. Anyway, it's popular with a lot of people so I thought I'd mention it since it is close to both Marshfield and Fair Grove. It's an Assemblies of God church. I can find out more info for you if you are interested. There are tons of small churches in the Fair Grove area, but none that I can personally recommend since I haven't checked them out.

As for the home groups thing, James River Assembly just started that in September. (It's in Ozark but it may be worth the drive! Come to the Christmas program Dec 7-8 jamesriver.org). It's also casual and has great music. The other church I mentioned is very similar (minus the home groups) but it's a little more charismatic.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,546 times
Hi, Manmana!

I'm bummed that I can't give you another rep point for this one since I just gave you one for the last thread I read! I'm always excited when someone local with real experience can answer the posts and you've done a great job of it!

So, all I can add is, "Amen!" http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/IM_2522.gif (broken link)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,402 times
Default Thank you Manmana!

I hadn't checked this in a few days because we have a grand-daughter who was born yesterday. It has been an exciting event for us and we have spent a lot of time at the hospital.

Can you tell me the name of the church in Strafford? And do you know if they have a website? It does sound like something that we would like to check out.

James River is an incredible church. I have friends who attend there and I think that church is doing so many things right! But it is a "little" too big for us. We are looking for something a lot smaller. But I have a lot of respect for Pastor Lindell and the staff there.

Thank you so much for answering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area