Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times

Advertisements

I live in a mountain resort town in New Mexico. There are 5 businesses that I can access....hospital, Walmart, Walgreens, local grocery store and the Dollar Store. The restaurants I have access to are fast food...all 3 of them. The Post Office, City Hall, Library, Senior Center, Convention Center and the rest of the stores, offices and restaurants are not handicap accessible. All have been grandfathered in so the ADA requirements are a moot point. They have sidewalk cuts and a few parking spots but no way to get into building...no sliding doors or those with opener buttons. Not even my physician's office! All that being said, I'm thinking about moving to Branson.
I lived in Missouri and visited Branson several times and it seemed to have a number of venues that would accommodate my mobility scooter. I need input from folks living in Branson that use a scooter and/or wheelchair or have knowledge about the issues that handicapped folks face. As I remember, Branson seemed to be geared to chronologically older folks. I'm 61 and I'm not claiming the "senior citizen" label unless it gets me a discount.

Please give me your input as this move will be my last and I want to find the place that offers me the opportunities to live a full life again.

Thanks in advance to all of you who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,486 times
I think you would find Branson to be much more accessible than what you are describing. I would say we are at, or below the average age of "show goers" in the area. I'm sure the major businesses have dealt with many customers with every degree of mobility. Silver Dollar City has been pretty much accessible for years. Not claiming you'll be able to whiz in and out of every little shop.

I will be operating a shooting preserve at the edge of the Branson West Airport. I have a friend who lost a leg in a horse riding accident. He hunts, field trials, and hunts shooting preserves. I am looking forward to his input. Many of us "not quite seniors" (I am also 61), will be facing mobility problems soon enough. Missouri has special provisions allowing vehicle use for hunting (simple statement from doctor is sufficient). Surely most other state departments are nearly as aware.

Several of the older theaters in Branson are quite accessible, so no doubt the many newer ones are, also. The people are generally quite friendly (part of their job), and although not the ideal situation, nearly any will assist, as needed. Point being, you probably wouldn't miss any shows, or good meals. A simple call ahead to inquire should suffice. ADA conversion is quite expensive in many cases, but Taney County is the richest, per capita because of the Country Music shows and Silver Dollar City. Branson West is in Stone County and parts are not affluent, to say the least.

Street and sidewalk traffic might be your biggest challenge, if you plan to go to two or five places on your scooter, parking in one lot. Another challenge is the rolling terrain (won't want to head out with a half charge).

Hopefully, this will help, some, and someone with better information will respond, soon.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
When it come to accessibility I think Branson is a mixed bag. Major stores and restaurants meet ADA requirements but many of the smaller stores are relatively inaccessible due to the terrain which can be steep in parts. I use a cane due to neuropathy in my lower legs resulting in lack of balance and there are some places I have to approach very gingerly.

For what it's worth I DO claim senior status as I'm 69.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area