Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Guys I just want to point out how important it is that we spend money on American products!

It looks like we'll all be getting some extra money back from the federal government this year, which is exciting, but we are borrowing that money from foreign governments, specifically China.

So if you take your $600 and buy something made outside of the US like many consumer electronics like TVs and cell phones, we aren't helping our country at all.
Instead- go on vacation in the States and stay at an American owned hotel, eat at American owned restaurants etc.

Please tell everyone you know to do this- it's the only way the stimulus package can work!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
Nah, I think I will pay some bills
This country is obsessed with consumerism!
Check out this video and see how this all came about and what it is doing to the world, sickening!
Awesome Video You Need to See Before You Start Holiday Shopping - Articles
Good points, both, but not mutually exclusive!

May I say that not all purchases are consumerism. Some purchases are good investments...

Now to climb up on my well-worn soapbox...

It's possible to do what both of you are saying...let's get back to buying what we need but when we do it don't fall victim to the lure of saving a few pennies and thus destroying ourselves!
Anybody look at the "made in" labels the last time you were in Wal Mart?

Climbing down now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
It's possible to do what both of you are saying...let's get back to buying what we need but when we do it don't fall victim to the lure of saving a few pennies and thus destroying ourselves!
Anybody look at the "made in" labels the last time you were in Wal Mart?
It really is'nt possible to buy what we "need" anymore from just products made in America. I would like to know where all of these American made products are? Maybe if you shop online you may find a few. We are slaves to China. BTW I don't shop at Wal Mart

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM

156 posts, read 387,958 times
Quote:
It really is'nt possible to buy what we "need" anymore from just products made in America.

So true and I so hate it when I have to make my own clothes....

Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryS View Post
So true and I so hate it when I have to make my own clothes....
please, even the fabric to do that is made overseas...... I just bought 60 yards of fabric for a clients bedroom, all made in India. I made myself a skirt right before xmas, fabric was made in china, there was NO fabric in the store that was made in the US, at least that I could find......

Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
please, even the fabric to do that is made overseas...... I just bought 60 yards of fabric for a clients bedroom, all made in India. I made myself a skirt right before xmas, fabric was made in china, there was NO fabric in the store that was made in the US, at least that I could find......
Good point. We better all raise some sheep and wear wool clothes, oh man that's itchy

I think the last thing I found in the store that was made in America was a little hack saw.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Good point. We better all raise some sheep and wear wool clothes, oh man that's itchy
LOL, thats funny! Thanks for the kind thoughts! I hope everyone is safe from the blizzard that seems to be happening in Mo right now, will be thinking about y'all!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
kshegirl I bet you don't miss this stuff!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
kshegirl I bet you don't miss this stuff!
I kinda do! As y'all have posted, that kind of weather makes me feel alive, all we have down here is hurricanes, and thats just plain scary! I hate not knowing if my house is gonna be there or not!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 25,073 times
Default Hurricanes in Fla. and the economy

You said it!!
Having lived here for eight years and been through the years of Charlie and Wilma, I am ready to deal with a little snow and ice. The damage can be the same and both of them can you leave you without power and miserable - either you sweat to death or freeze !

I am from the area that was discussed on the news link you read about the recession in FLa. Believe me, it is close to the truth. I do agree with all about purchasing American made products but know that it is hard when living a budget. Trying to make the dollar stretch is challenge when being pulled in several directions.

Much of what is happening is because of greed. The housing here in FL was pushed sky high when investors and builders saw that a quick buck could be made through selling homes. So lenders, builders, mortgage brokers and all those involved jumped in to get a piece of the pie! The bubble was created and I know it is not just here in FL but other parts of the country as the company I worked for was part of it. Mtg Brokers and lenders worked together to try to get everyone a piece of the American Dream many times not taking into account that some families might not be able to afford their dream. These same brokers and lenders also met the needs of the investors helping them to finance more homes than they could afford and sell off hoping to make some quick cash in flips so as to spend more and get more. The "Get Rich Quick" Scheme at its best.

Greed even plays more on society in that Americans compete with each other to have more. On TV the other day it was stated that the majority of people have an average of 9 credit cards with most maxed out. We as a society have gotton ourselves in this mess by pure greed!

I agree and disagree on paying off debt with the rebate. For some paying off debt will leave money in the pocket to spend on the necessities of life making it easier to survive. For others, spending the money on other items they might not be able to afford or on improvements needed. As a society, we need to be wise in what we do with the money. What is happening now is because of many people making unwise choices with money and will not cure itself overnight.

One thought to bear in mind is that much of this may only be the beginning of what lies ahead in the future. A time will come when one day's wage will need to buy a loaf of bread; of this I am certain as many many years ago this was told to group of people along with many other predictions that have been fulfilled. It this is the time only God knows but I feel it is a wake up call.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 PM

41 posts, read 110,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C44 View Post
But the good news is they are building a In-n-Out here in Southern Utah!
Oh! You are SOOOO lucky!

I plan my trips to California around In-n-Out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area