Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 08:25 AM

342 posts, read 798,296 times

Advertisements

Soon to be retired. We are enormous Cardinals fans and being in and around Springfield (max 30 min away) seems ideal. Would probably get season tix to the Springfield Cardinals as well as a golf membership.
Regarding golf, the city/muni courses look great in the area so if you have any insight on them please let me know. Looking for 3/3 minimum with a little bit of land (minimum 1 acre) Looking between 700-900k. Let me know your honest opinions on the area including weather, people, places to go and things to do as well as the golf scene. Love to hear everyone's opinions whether they be positive or negative.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 06:04 PM

59 posts, read 125,381 times
As a retiree the place will probably be great for you. The cost of living is relatively low and the weather is moderate. That said if you are averse to cold weather of any kind or if you prefer the "white Christmas" you better look elsewhere. Missouri is the land of frozen mud in the wintertime. With your finance status you'll be able to find what you want. However depending on what type of people you are and what you expect of life there are some things you might want to consider. Lots of people who move from more affluent areas sometimes begin to resent the lack of recreational opportunities available locally. We have lakes but no oceans and the "Ozark Mountains" ain't the Rockies. There's good hunting if you are into that and the fishing is "OK". It's a slower pace of life for most but keep in mind the slow things also come along with it. Also if you have relatives or children who might think of joining you be forwarded, the Springfield / Branson area is an employment cesspool and home to some of the lowest average wages in the nation.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:45 AM

99 posts, read 231,377 times
Springfield is a NOISY city. Noise pollution pounds the senses. Too many residents equate LOUD vehicle exhaust with what? Manliness?

I would move, if I could. The constant barrage of NOISE makes life unpleasant in this enclave of muffler-hating heathens.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:08 PM

113 posts, read 103,411 times
I've only been here in Springfield, MO since August. At first I thought this was a nice small town and thought the people were nice. But that changed once we started getting to know the place.

The people can be rude and disrespectful, for example I was working at a grocery store here and got insulted way more than I have living anywhere else, and so did my mom to the point where this guy made her cry and she was about to walk out because of it. And people here I've noticed are judgemental too.

Repo_man_sanchez, is spot on about the recreational activities or lack there of in Springfield.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Springfield has its pros and cons depending on how you want to look at things.
My husband plays golf in Branson at a couple of courses and he's okay with the courses. He hasn't played in Springfield.
I've found the people here to be nice. Not everyone is going to be nice but that's life anywhere.
There's a Springfield Cardinals baseball team here. Not like the St. Louis Cardinals but a lower ranking team. If you're into baseball, that's something to think about.
If you're looking for a city that's walk friendly, this isn't it. Seems every other day I hear something about a pedestrian getting run over and either injured or killed. I don't know what's up with that but it happens a lot here.
The weather is mild. We have our 4 seasons. Housing will be very affordable with your income. You might look into Nixa which is nice and just down the road a few miles.
Tons of restaurants here and things to do.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:15 AM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
On the whole, Springfield is an easy-going, safe place. Assuming your socioeconomic status, I'd recommend looking south of 60, or east of 65. Professional opportunities are more limited and lower-paying than larger metros, but that will not be an issue if you are retired. Like the rest of the lower Midwest, the weather is nice for eight months...it's cold in Jan/Feb, hot in July/August. I don't know much about golf, but when I lived in SW MO, I spent time fly fishing, boating on Table Rock, and day trips to NW AR. St. Louis is a short drive up I-44.

If you're hearing opinions from older folks who moved there 30 years ago, keep in mind, Springfield has grown since then. All of SW MO has. Not extreme like the Sunbelt, but it has changed nonetheless. In fact, the Joplin of today reminds me of the Springfield of thirty years ago. Downtown has really improved. There is more traffic on the freeways (please widen I-44!). The immigrant population has grown dramatically. Several suburbs have sprouted. In short, it has transformed into a small metropolitan area.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:40 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
On the whole, Springfield is an easy-going, safe place. Assuming your socioeconomic status, I'd recommend looking south of 60, or east of 65. Professional opportunities are more limited and lower-paying than larger metros, but that will not be an issue if you are retired. Like the rest of the lower Midwest, the weather is nice for eight months...it's cold in Jan/Feb, hot in July/August. I don't know much about golf, but when I lived in SW MO, I spent time fly fishing, boating on Table Rock, and day trips to NW AR. St. Louis is a short drive up I-44.

If you're hearing opinions from older folks who moved there 30 years ago, keep in mind, Springfield has grown since then. All of SW MO has. Not extreme like the Sunbelt, but it has changed nonetheless. In fact, the Joplin of today reminds me of the Springfield of thirty years ago. Downtown has really improved. There is more traffic on the freeways (please widen I-44!). The immigrant population has grown dramatically. Several suburbs have sprouted. In short, it has transformed into a small metropolitan area.
Also, explains why democrats hold two seats on the general assembly from Springfield now. 10 years ago that would be unheard of. Why is it growing? Is it due to the university? Seems people from California are moving there too I hear.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:50 PM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Also, explains why democrats hold two seats on the general assembly from Springfield now. 10 years ago that would be unheard of. Why is it growing? Is it due to the university? Seems people from California are moving there too I hear.
I'd say it is steadily growing for at least three reasons...

- Low-cost for decent schools, low crime, and reasonable traffic. E.g. stress free, largely suburban living.
- It attracts retirees from Missouri and adjacent states, for reasons mentioned in a prior post.
- The abundance and focus on low-skill, low-wage industries certainly attracts immigrants.

I'm sure some university grads stick around, but most probably return to StL or KC for the more abundant career opportunities.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:46 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Springfield's crime rate isn't low, certainly not as good as it used to be, but it doesn't give off the vibe of being terribly dangerous either.
In some ways it's very economically robust. You're not going to land a million-dollar-a-day techie job most likely, but the number of small businesses that line those streets makes my head spin whenever I'm there.
The types of jobs they have also attract locals from surrounding areas that may not have gone to college.
In general it's a low-key place that has most everything you'd need without having to live in a larger city. Bigger cities are nearby for big city things.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:56 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I'd say it is steadily growing for at least three reasons...

- Low-cost for decent schools, low crime, and reasonable traffic. E.g. stress free, largely suburban living.
- It attracts retirees from Missouri and adjacent states, for reasons mentioned in a prior post.
- The abundance and focus on low-skill, low-wage industries certainly attracts immigrants.

I'm sure some university grads stick around, but most probably return to StL or KC for the more abundant career opportunities.
Everyone sales traffic is terrible in Springfield, especially during school due to the layout and density in such a small area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area