Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:56 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
The Lake of the Ozarks is essentially unparalleled in this region for its party coves, shoreline bars, and relative lack of limitations. It gets wild on Summer weekends. And it's in the most central location in MO.

Table Rock is totally different. It's quieter and the average age is much older. After all, Table Rock sits next to Branson. Housing is much more restricted on Table Rock, and thus, the "lake life" isn't as strong as the LOTO. No bar hopping or shootouts.
True. The pace is defiantly slower there too. After all, you're in the south when you're at Table Rock, Branson. Lake of the Ozarks is at the northern end of the southern/midwest transition zone and gets a lot of visitors from the big cities of Stl and KC.

I like the scenery of the southern quarter of Missouri I mean places like Springfield, Branson, West Plains, Lebanon, Bull Shoals area. I like the rugged terrain which is similar to eastern TN except smaller hills/mountains and upper south influences as well.

Btw a lot of areas in the Ozarks have terrible cell coverage and 4G is non existent in some areas. How do you people cope without having cell service and being able to text and use the web on your phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 12:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Btw a lot of areas in the Ozarks have terrible cell coverage and 4G is non existent in some areas. How do you people cope without having cell service and being able to text and use the web on your phone?
because they don't do that even with 4g service...

people who like nature kind of like being in it, hard to bird watch/hunt/fish/hike if you have to look at a screen every minute

Old 05-10-2017, 07:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
True. The pace is defiantly slower there too. After all, you're in the south when you're at Table Rock, Branson. Lake of the Ozarks is at the northern end of the southern/midwest transition zone and gets a lot of visitors from the big cities of Stl and KC.

I like the scenery of the southern quarter of Missouri I mean places like Springfield, Branson, West Plains, Lebanon, Bull Shoals area. I like the rugged terrain which is similar to eastern TN except smaller hills/mountains and upper south influences as well.

We're not wedded to cell phones, having come into this world and grown up in the age of party lines and rotary dial phones. However, in all our travels throughout the Ozarks I cannot remember an area in which we didn't have cell service if we needed it. Sadly, the Ozarks are growing up as well.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We're not wedded to cell phones, having come into this world and grown up in the age of party lines and rotary dial phones. However, in all our travels throughout the Ozarks I cannot remember an area in which we didn't have cell service if we needed it. Sadly, the Ozarks are growing up as well.
Back in 2013 the last time I was in Branson/Table Rock my cell coverage was not very good. In the main areas of Branson I got 4g and okay coverage, but just outside of Branson and at my Cabin on Table Rock just a few miles away the coverage was terrible, just Edge coverage at the most and had to use wifi calling in order to make a call and stay connected. This is Tmobile I use. On the way down on 44 too in the rural areas it wasn't that good.

I'm sure it's better though, but someone coming from St. Louis and glued to their tech stuff would have a terrible time deep in the Ozarks.

That was my first time in about 15 years I was in that area of the state. Springfield seemed bigger. Branson didn't seem much different.

One thing I noticed while a number of the shops in Branson sell Confederate Battle flags, Silver Dollar City doesn't anymore. My mom bought me one when we were down there around 1989-1990ish because I saw it at the gift shop at Silver Dollar City and wanted it. Now they just sell American Flags.

While I'm sure the Ozarks have changed, it still seemed pretty southern down around Table Rock, Branson. Nothing Midwestern about it. Many of the locals had southern accents and just the whole demeanor, culture total opposite of St. Louis. Even Springfield the southern influences are still there.

All I know is the areas of far southern Missouri are more southern than most places here in Florida. I moved back to FL 2 years ago and the state has seemed to become more liberal since I left and many from the northeast here. Have to go to the pan handle to find true southern culture in pockets.

My area of SWFL if an older person from the Table Rock area with the thick Ozark, upper south accent would really stick out down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area