Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 11:22 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times

Advertisements

What does California have to invade Missouri too? Why missouri?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 05:55 AM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That's because you have more outsiders moving into Greene County. Also, it waters down the culture too. California people moving to the Ozarks/Upland South are different culturally.

I'm in Florida now. It's not nearly as conservative as Missouri due to immigration, and migration from New England and now California as well.

Here in Southwest FL you hear TONS of new England accents and they're snobs too.

Those New Englanders and their attitudes I don't think would be welcomed in parts like West Plains, Cabool, Mountain Home Arkansas, Neosho, or Harrison especially.

60 years ago they'd be run out of Greene County.
New Englander here....

What did we do this time?

After we got rid of Tom Brady and started letting other teams play in the Super Bowl, you talk about us like that! Tsk Tsk!

Old 10-22-2021, 09:51 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
How would you describe the Missouri Ozark accent? I always recall hearing Springfield pronounced Sprangfield. Is the accent changing with all of the transplants?

Old 10-23-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
How would you describe the Missouri Ozark accent? I always recall hearing Springfield pronounced Sprangfield. Is the accent changing with all of the transplants?
Not sure as it's a regional, hillbilly thing. I always notice the Ozarks of Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas have a lot of similar characteristics to Eastern TN, northern GA, Eastern KY. Many of the settlers of that area came from there. Only difference is their mountains are a bit higher in those areas. Politically they have the identical voting patterns too!

Like in the 1950s and 60s for example Eastern TN for example voted Republican at the state level despite most of the state solid democrat. Arkansas same way. The Ozarks Counties of AR also voted Republican unlike the rest of AR. The same thing with MO. Most of the Ozark counties voted Republican while the rest of teh state favored democrats in Missouri.

You could carve out the ozarks counties of Arkansas and Missouri on a voting map back then because they were Republican while rest of the state solid democrat.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 PM

55 posts, read 51,478 times
Quote:

When I was there it was "we don't talk funny, it's yall that ain't got no accent that talk funny".

Old 11-13-2021, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,118 times
Default still moving?

Are you still moving? Or already there?
13 Nov When was the last year that the camp was named "Yo Co Mo Bluff"?This website: https://www.city-data.com/township/P...-Barry-MO.html uses only that name!! It claims 186 humans & "...Occupied houses/apartments: 186...Average household size: 2.62..." Impossible, if you use the arithmetic we learned in 3rd Grade!
Many Blunders!! Congrats Ryan you are the householder!!! Does anybody believe " 22 stepchildren"?

Old 11-13-2021, 04:39 PM

Default In SPFD?

Hi gonefishing, Some of my relatives might share part of their experiences at fishing spots within 100+ miles of SPFD. But maybe not their very favorites.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:23 PM

Question new neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What does California have to invade Missouri too? Why missouri?
Let's think. Why leaving CA? In '20 & '21 those huge wild-land fires burned out thousands of folks. If hundreds of those owners did pay for enough property insurance to replace the house during this Pandemic when lumber prices inflated 300% to 400% in some areas: they gotta get out of CA & go somewhere cheap! Like MO! Before that flooding. Recall the news pics of the spillway of old Oroville Dam washing out after heavier rains? That failing dam is upstream / uphill from millions of humans in CA! Now the water level {drinking water supply} is very low. https://cdec.water.ca.gov/resapp/RescondMain Memories of such flip-flopping disasters motives folks to flee from forests that are NOW dead from drought & beetles & burning UP! Lots of news in '21 that CO River is much lower that historic averages, so Lakes Mead & Powell are Drying DOWN! Besides those from CA, let's expect millions of new neighbors from AZ & Metro Las Vegas / Clark County!!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiringGuru2 View Post
When I was there it was "we don't talk funny, it's yall that ain't got no accent that talk funny".
I'm sure it's changing. The 1997 Univ of PA dialect map has Springfield firmly in the Southern Dialect zone. However that's gotta be more watered down due to transplants.

Last time I visited Branson just before season started and during the work week when it was still pretty dead the dialect I heard clearly lined up with the Univeristy of PA map that you hear in northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri area around there. My flat accent really stood out in Branson when it was mostly locals, especially older people.

Old 08-20-2022, 04:22 AM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Quote:
The girl in this video is a Missouri Ozark native and she has an accent, sounds slightly southern to me which would make sense given where Springfield is located geographically

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area