Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 35,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Then you build it on a flat-bottom BOAT and you got yourself a redneck houseboat! (sorry, couldn't resist)
Ooohhh, and then you wouldn't have to pay anyone rent for the land! Maybe I'll do that myself, instead of getting an apartment. I do love the lake...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
To GUPCheck with your local county courthouse to see if the county owns any property taken for non-payment of taxes. Sometimes there are really good deals. Also, dumsters, garage and rummage sales and cleanup weeks are excellent sources of building material and furnishings. I've built a few buildings using nothing but recycled materials, except for nails, screws, tarpaper and shingles.
photoguy13

Last edited by photoguy13; 04-06-2009 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,339 times
Great! Thanks for the tips, photoguy!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 33,681 times
I would think that your line of work would be in a bigger demand with the economy the way it is. As far as the unemployment rate goes, the TV news says that the unemployment rate is lower here than most places around the state and nation.

I am 57 and unemployed. I have been lookinf for work for almost 6 months. I aply for jobs but I think they look at the age and hire the 30 yr. old that also applied.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Under Pressure View Post
Hi everyone!
This is my first post, after having read many, many postings and the helpful responses.
So, here's my situation. I am a Missouri native, now in graduate school in Denver (moved here to go to school). In May of 2009, I will graduate with my master's in social work (and a sizable student loan debt). I will also be 45 years old, so I came up with what may seem like (and may very well be) a cockimamy idea to pay off my loan in less time. I am building a tiny house on a flatbed trailer. You can see pictures by googling Tumbleweed Tiny House. Living in the tiny house for awhile will mean no mortgage and no rent (or very low rent to park on someone's land).
I am so anxious to get back to luscious green land (as Denver is basically a high desert) and OUT of the city. I would like to move somewhere within 30 or 40 minutes of Springfield (for work) - perhaps Ozark (???) and to be close to my brother who lives in northern Arkansas.
So, here are my questions:
1) I am an absolute lunatic to live my tiny house in tornado territory???
2) Does anyone know anything about the area's employment market for social workers? (I specialize in working with elders).
Thanks everyone!
You can buy an existing mobile home on a bit of land for much less than what a Tumbleweed Tiny House would go for. If you look hard enough, you can probably find something under 15K in a smaller town that would give you considerably more room and comfort.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 PM

41 posts, read 110,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Under Pressure View Post
... I am building a tiny house on a flatbed trailer. You can see pictures by googling Tumbleweed Tiny House. Living in the tiny house for awhile will mean no mortgage and no rent (or very low rent to park on someone's land). ...
Hi Grace,

We have 40 acres in Goodhope (west of Ava in Douglas County) on which we have an older farmhouse that we have started to fix up for our retirement. We are in our mid-40's and are planning ahead...

Anyway, there is a nice bare spot onto which you can park your Tiny House. Goodhope is about a 45-50 minute drive to Springfield and about 10-15 minutes to Ava.

If you are interested, we can discuss rent and whether you will need electricity, telephone and/or propane services.... just send me a PM with your email.

Robin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area