Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:28 PM

100 posts, read 195,184 times

Advertisements

I am looking to moving my family to Cedar City. I have been through town quite a few towns but don't know much about the area. I noticed that crime seems to have increased in recent years according to a couple of websites. What is a nice community on the outskirts of town? And anything pro or con you'd like to comment on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 PM

175 posts, read 594,882 times
I don't live there but have visited a bunch. Here are some pros and cons from my point of view:

Pros:
College town - SUU
Smallish town feel but with some amenities
Shakespeare Festival
Summers are not oppressively hot
Close to summer getaways like Duck Creek and Cedar Breaks
Close to Brian Head
Cost of living is well below the US average (at 83.5)

Cons:
Good paying jobs can be difficult to find
Winter can get pretty darn cold and windy - with snow (gasp)
Some amenities are limited or missing due to size
Not as beautiful as the St. George area

Crime overall has risen, but still remains well below the US average (based on City-Data statistics).

Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 PM

100 posts, read 195,184 times
Wind is one thing I was wondering about. I grew up somewhere with constant wind. I hated it. Do you get a lot of wind then? Why do you think the crime has gone up?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Cedar has a near constant breeze. No idea on the crime. Cedar seems pretty safe to me.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Forgive me for 'hijacking' the thread. I thought I'd ask my questions here since it's somewhat related. How is the job market in Cedar City? Is the unemployment rate high there? TIA.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:03 PM

175 posts, read 594,882 times
bacano,

St. George get's much less wind until you get to the Hurricane area to the east and once you start going up in elevation on I-15 (somewhere north of Leeds) the wind is funneled and increases. As for crime, check out the City Data info where it shows year by year stats for various crimes. http://www.city-data.com/city/Cedar-City-Utah.html My perception is that I-15 is a corridor between LA, Vegas and Salt Lake. So, drug runners seem to be an issue and can lead to more crime. Just my guess. Overall at 223.8, it's less than the US average of 294.7.

MountainBiking,

The same site above has info on industry and occupations. Other than jobs at the University and Hospital, not sure what's available. Unemployment is low, however, I believe wages are depressed - many are retail/service related. Again, I'm no expert on Cedar, so others can hopefully provide some insight.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,322 times
Lived there for seven years. My perception is that it's pretty much a hick town that is crushingly boring. Heavily Mormon which can be good or bad depending on the ward you're in. My suggestion would be to make a call to the ward bishop and talk to him. If he refuses to talk to you, run.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:10 PM

317 posts, read 651,841 times
It's windy here frequently. I've seen vendor tents at various outdoor events blow away and also get crushed by microbursts. Once, a few years ago we had to help disentangle a tent from the people inside so they could get out.

It can get very cold some winters, but the desert is close by so one can get away easily for an afternoon in the 70's when it's too much.

I don't really notice a spike in crime beyond that which you'd expect with a growing population and increased highway traffic.

Be careful when looking in the "outskirts" for unstable soil and flooding issues. The problems are worse in some areas than in others.

As far as jobs go, I would personally not have moved here if I had not been bringing my own business with me. I can do my job from anywhere, so a "crushingly boring" town suits me. I can get my work done without the distractions of a more active social life. On days off, I do outdoor stuff. Most of our friends live elsewhere, although we have a few in town. It's the right place for me, some love it, some run away screaming as fast as they can, YMMV.

The increase in noise lately from the helicopter school, obnoxiously loud university events and other sources have me contemplating a move. If I'm going to live out in the sticks, I don't want this level of noise. But hey, first world problems...

Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM

9 posts, read 19,027 times
Team,
Just a word of caution that Cedar City may not be the best location to own real estate, if you are likely to get transferred to another community.
There are plenty of rental opportunities to get to know the area, before making an investment. Cedar City is more "affordable" that St. George, for a reason.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:33 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
Some significant water issues on the horizon...

Iron County sees a pipeline as its water savior -- but not from Lake Powell | The Salt Lake Tribune

The aquifer that supplies water for the conservancy district and other area farms and communities is significantly overdrawn, according to a 2009 study by the U.S. Geological Survey. Area water users pump out about 3 billion gallons more water than is restored to the aquifer by precipitation and runoff each year.

Because of its structure, the aquifer beneath Cedar City has started to collapse as large amounts of water are removed, permanently reducing the underground reservoir's capacity and causing the land above to settle unevenly, said Bill Lund, who is studying the aquifer's depletion out of the Southern Utah Regional Office of the USGS."

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George