Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 PM

13 posts, read 48,110 times

Advertisements

I am seriously thinking about moving to St. Charles. I lived in Stl county for 6 years and moved back to Texas after the divorce. I have ahd enough racism to last 3 lifetimes and just sick of it. Im a Pharmacy Technician about to have an 'empty nest' and looked at some land in St Charles last summer. But, then I heard some things from a white employee that was very disturbing. I'm old and single, too old to be chased or chasing; live a clean, quiet, peaceful life and make a pretty decent living. I would hate to come back from vacation and see a cross and my home burned to ashes because of some antiquated beliefs based on fear and ignorance. PLEASE--BE HONEST WHEN YOU RESPOND!!! I can take it--believe me, I can..........

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acabrina View Post
I am seriously thinking about moving to St. Charles. I lived in Stl county for 6 years and moved back to Texas after the divorce. I have ahd enough racism to last 3 lifetimes and just sick of it. Im a Pharmacy Technician about to have an 'empty nest' and looked at some land in St Charles last summer. But, then I heard some things from a white employee that was very disturbing. I'm old and single, too old to be chased or chasing; live a clean, quiet, peaceful life and make a pretty decent living. I would hate to come back from vacation and see a cross and my home burned to ashes because of some antiquated beliefs based on fear and ignorance. PLEASE--BE HONEST WHEN YOU RESPOND!!! I can take it--believe me, I can..........
As far as I know, while the number isn't large, there are some Black folks in St. Charles. It might not be too bad there.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM

13 posts, read 48,110 times
Yes; I viewed the city info and saw that there's only 3.5% Black population there. A single Black woman and living alone in St. Charles--- is that a recipe for the typical racism/stereotyping/profiling and such?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
I'm probably going to get reamed for this, but many of the people have have settled in St Charles County were part of the major "white flight" from North County in the 90's-00's. So, you can judge from there. I am sure you can find an area that you would fit in just fine. However, I have several friends that live out in St Charles county and aren't the least bit racist. If you are looking in St Louis, I would go with: City, Brentwood, University City, Richmond Heights, Maplewood, Kirkwood, Webster Groves or Creve Couer. I would even choose Chesterfield over St Charles County.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 PM

325 posts, read 851,116 times
I doubt it will be the cross burning kind of racism, more that oh-so subtle, underhanded racism that "polite people" are so good at.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:48 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
As a mixed race couple, we have encountered racism - from both black and white people - in all areas of metro St. Louis. Don't let this stop you from living where you want to - we just dismiss the racist overtones as poorly educated , simpleton ignorance. Believe me, 100 percent of the individuals who look down their nose at others have nothing to be elitist about.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 AM

332 posts, read 644,312 times
Quote:
I doubt it will be the cross burning kind of racism, more that oh-so subtle, underhanded racism that "polite people" are so good at.
I bet your definition of "racism" is when a White cop gives a Black driver a speeding ticket. "Oh the horror I just got a speeding ticket, I think I am getting flashbacks of slavery".

Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 AM

325 posts, read 851,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
I bet your definition of "racism" is when a White cop gives a Black driver a speeding ticket. "Oh the horror I just got a speeding ticket, I think I am getting flashbacks of slavery".
[sarcasm]Wow! It's just like you can read my mind![/sarcasm]

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
The bottom line is there is a possibility for racism anywhere. Even in the most liberal and diverse areas there are bound to be people with some racist thoughts here and there, although there they know to keep their thoughts to themselves when "those people" might hear them. Having said that, I would say the concentration of people with racist thoughts does vary from place to place in the St. Louis area, and does tend to be lowest where the diversity is highest. We are another mixed race family who has experienced racism occasionally in the area, although much of it is "reverse prejudice" which can be just as bad when people just assume you are well educated and affluent because you are of a certain ethnicity. It's funny when people think it is okay to stereotype people and tell it to their faces because "you people are the good ones".

Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 15,561 times
I've lived in St.Charles about 5yrs. ago. We moved because, I lost my job. My husband and I liked it, and our children loved it and want to move back. They made lots of friends, the two situations we did have out there, one was the fault of my childs bad choice, which kids make sometimes, and the other was due to miscommunication among buddies, that did get handled after my husband put the parents in their place. I had a guy look at me funny pumping gas one time, but hone that didn't bother me at all. We are decent people, who keeps to ourselves and do our best to monitor our children, as any good parent should. Our stay was comfortable, we were in the Francis Howell District at the time. Looking to go Fort Zumwalt first then Francis Howell as second. We actually found a house in Fort Zumwalt, but someone beat us to it. You have to right to peace, quiet, and happiness, I say GO FOR IT. There are some nice white people in the world, more than people give credit for, just like there are nice black people all over the world including Missouri. Why does everything have to be black and white? there are so many other races involved in the makeup of our society and there's go and bad in every one of them. CAN'T WE ALL JUST TRY TO LIKE ONE ANOTHER AND TRY TO GET ALONG, AND EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LIKE SOMEONE, JUST LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE AND LET THEM LIVE THEIR LIVES, AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT AFFECTING YOUR PIECE OF THE WORLD, TRY TO LIVE IN HARMONY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis