Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the process of looking for a new job, and one of the things that he is considering is in Saint Louis. We currently live in a suburb south of Nashville and really like it here. I am not very familiar with St. Louis, I have only been there for work a few times. I've spent about an hour reading the boards and haven't seen a clear cut answer.
So I would love some help narrowing down the suburbs so I can compare prices, schools, etc.
I'm not sure about property taxes, so I would conservatively say we could spend $500K or so for a house. We prefer a reasonable yard- 1/2 acre or so. We want to live in an area with top notch public schools. And we'd like to stay reasonably close to the city.
What would you recommend? Also, if anyone has any comparisions between living in Nashville and STL, I would love to hear those also.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
500k will get you almost anywhere you want to be within St. Louis, including all the best school districts. If you're wanting excellent public schools that would rule out St. Louis City, but to stay close to it I would recommend staying within the I-270 Loop. The next obstacle is land, which would essentially make finding a home in some areas more difficult than others. Your best bet might be Ladue, as that would get you an excellent school district, and most likely a minimum of 1/2 acre. I'm also sure than many of the other older communities will have larger lots as well (newer construction typically puts subdivision homes ontop of each other), and as such I'd also recommend Webster Groves, Rock Hill, Glendale, and Kirkwood. All of which should keep you guys within 15-20 minutes of downtown, door to door and provide you with great public schools.

You might also check into Illinois as well, but I'm no expert or even well versed with things East of the Mississippi but plenty of my coworkers seem to enjoy living over there...I just never have, and if all goes well, never will...(i.e. I'm a missoura boy ).

Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
St. Louis isn't nearly as southern nor as country as Nashville. It's also larger and more historic. StL is a fantastic place to raise a family.

I'd start your search in kirkwood, creve coeur, chesterfield, town and country, and wildwood. These suburbs will be a stretch at that budget and requirements but that's a start.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Thanks, this is very helpful. Kirkwood has some really cute houses in our price range, and it looks like the schools are great. Now we just need to come visit.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Looks like everyone really hit the places I would most recommend. Be sure to ask any follow-up questions about particular areas, and we'll be happy to help.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM

102 posts, read 708,532 times
I live in st louis county and am familiar with brentwood tn and franklin. I have been considering moving to your area. STL and nashville area are not that much alike. St louis is much larger but still easy to get around plus there is some pretty country close by. St louis has a lot more culture, shopping, professional sports, and restaurants than brentwood tn. Now the bad...housing in Brentwood is newer with much larger lots and better quality for the same price as st louis. Your $500k in brentwood would buy a very old home in the close in suburbs or a vinyl sided newer house in Chesterfield. Kirkwood and Webster groves will have a lot of homes in your price range and are terrific places to live. These houses are very old and have dated floor plans if you are used the the latest trends. Property taxes on $500k home are probably $5000-7000 here compared to $3500 in brentwood tn. We have state income tax and you don't in Tn. Other items are probably comparable in price in st louis compared to nashville.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Williamson County reminds me of western St. Louis County in some ways. Lots of hills, trees, and big houses. I'm not sure which one is hillier though. I know Nashville is hillier than STL City, but the outskirts of each city seem similar as far as topography goes.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 PM

126 posts, read 102,205 times
The Northwest High School is very good. Albeit, they are way too strict and have an absolute zero tolerance policy, resulting in year long suspensions for even the most minor of offenses. But there are absolutely no gangs and practically no bullying. It's the best high school I've ever seen.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Where's Northwest High School?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 7,150 times
Clayton and Ladue are generally considered the top two school districts that are located within the inner suburbs and therefore close to downtown. You can get in these areas for $500k but likely won't get everything you're looking for in a house. Olivette and parts of Creve Coeur are in the Ladue district and will give you more for your money house wise. Kirkwood, Glendale and Webster Groves are other great inner suburbs with good schools, though in the minds of many a notch below Clayton and Ladue achools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis