Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM

81 posts, read 377,093 times

Advertisements

Just returned from Bass Pro today (dangerous, dangerous) and a cute little pontoon boat caugt our eye. Not something we'll be purchasing for a year or two...but was just curious if anyone knows any residential areas with lake living? I grew up in IL close to Holiday Shores, had family there at the time so got to swim/boat there once or twice and had a friend that lived on a big lake somewhere in Edwardsville, that they had a pontoon too but we don't want to live over there due to our jobs (husband works in Ballwin and I may be getting a FT position at UMStL in the very near future) and the commute distance.

So just curious!

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,093 times
I don't think you'll have too much luck finding a place you can keep a pontoon boat anywhere near Ballwin with the exception of Lake St. Louis, and I don't know if they allow pontoons as the lake is probably not large enough for one. Most people I know with pontoon boats keep them over at one of the many docks in St. Charles County on the Mississippi River. Most are within a 30 minute drive from both of your workplaces so they are very convenient. Before you laugh, it's a great, great place to go pontooning. You are on a very rural area of the river, with many islands with sandy beaches and loads of other boaters. There is even a few "party coves" there that people meet at each weekend and tie-up to each other just like down at the Lake of the Ozarks. The area borders alongside the Illinois Great River Road which is a designated one of the nations most beautiful drives. Many fun restaurants, wineries and other places to stop at as well, but on a boat, just like when you're driving a car, have a designated driver when "partying" too hard.

p.s. I grew up in Olivette on Villa Place.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 AM

81 posts, read 377,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
I don't think you'll have too much luck finding a place you can keep a pontoon boat anywhere near Ballwin with the exception of Lake St. Louis, and I don't know if they allow pontoons as the lake is probably not large enough for one.
We saw bunches yesterday, from I-70. Had drove out to some little town way on the other side of Lake St. Lou to visit my husband's dad-who is a trucker and had a layover out there somewhere and saw all the boats docked right near what looked ot be a residential type area, so that started the ball rolling after stopping at Bass Pro on the way home!

Quote:
Before you laugh, it's a great, great place to go pontooning.
I don't doubt ya. I love Grafton and that area. That would be fun. But it's just a happy dream right now....LOL! And we're not real big partiers, with a 9yr old son.

Quote:
p.s. I grew up in Olivette on Villa Place.
Not sure where that is. We've just been here since October, and found our house through a leasing company. Love the area and the schools though!

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO

Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM

69 posts, read 176,545 times
-Innsbrook has a lot of boaters, but it's pretty far from UMSL It has some beautiful lakes!
- The areas up by the mississippi in St. Charles County (orchard farm, portage de sioux) are somewhat desolate.. lots of cornfields.. but there are a lot of marinas and lots of people who are into boating.

-Lake st. Louis has lakes, obviously, but i'm not too sure about boaters.

-Down in JeffCo, there are a lot of clubhouses and boaters on the Big River, but those are somewhat low-class, so I guess it's just based on your preference.

I love boating too! Our family used to own a houseboat that we kept at Lake Barkley in Kentucky, and we moved down there every summer. It was so awesome, and if you ever feel like taking a trip to go boating, I definitly suggest the Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley area.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Lake St. Louis is a surprisingly large area and it has PLENTY of boats. It is pretty damn expensive out there now though.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 14,879 times
Exclamation lsl

Lake Saint Louis is large enough for Pontoon boats and ski boats. I have lived there 30 years and can say its a wonderful place to live, Innsbrook does not allow motor boat except with trolling motors. If you look on the older side of the lake the housing is very affordable. You can get a lot for your money in Lake Saint Louis. Wanna buy my house? I am going to have to sell soon if I don't get a job soon.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM

71 posts, read 261,063 times
The only thing that is expensive about Lake St. Louis is the CA fees and renting docks, the houses are relatively decently priced. Median is at 185 according to CNN. I do not know where this idea that LSL is really expensive, yes there are some 1+ million dollar houses, but there are plenty in the sub 150k

Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
compared to what I was paying for slip fees ($350 / month) in California the $450 / year is a bargain.

Both Lakes are big enough for Pontoon boats, but the little Lake has a 10/hp limit.

You do have to be a member of the Community Association (and your home has to fall within CA boundaries to be a member and extra $450 /year) to be able to use the Lakes and other amenties.

I don't know where they idea expensive home cost in LSL comes from. You can still get in for under 200k/year.

As far as boating goes, you can try anyone of the numerous Mississippi River Marinas north of the Alton Locks in Saint Charles County (exit on i-70/Mid Rivers Mall Drive and turn right onto Highway "C", and go to the very end).

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

71 posts, read 261,063 times
I was comparing the fee to other lakes around here, like when we moved here we looked at other lakes near and it is higher. You cannot compare slip costs in Cali/Fla/Tex to here

Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM

21 posts, read 116,298 times
What about the Mark Twain Lake area about an hour or two north of Saint Louis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis