Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times

Advertisements

^St. Peters is perfectly safe but much more suburban and newer in feel. The listing above is just a stone's throw from where I grew up (and where my mom still lives). It's a nice, middle class area.

Let us know if and when you have more questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^St. Peters is perfectly safe but much more suburban and newer in feel. The listing above is just a stone's throw from where I grew up (and where my mom still lives). It's a nice, middle class area.

Let us know if and when you have more questions!
What she said. As stated, things will typically become a little less walkable, or close to some amenities the further West you go. However, you'll be closer to the mall as you go further West. But further from bars, some local restaurants, and a pretty vibrant nightlife that is had on Main Street...Home prices are typically a little less as you move further West, as long as you avoid the McMansions. You'll also find generally newer construction the further West you go.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM

73 posts, read 105,118 times
thanks all for the friendly responses.

Good to know the area's, we are interested in are safe and nice area's, now its just a matter of the real estate agents getting a hold of me or me getting lucky and getting a hold of them...lol

Thanks again

Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Does anyone happen to know anything about Saint Ann,MO? its about right in the middle of our jobs and I found a decent price house within our budget (we would be renting monthly), the area is Douglas Court, Saint Ann MO 63074

Not really too familiar with that area...I checked online and the location information function said that it has very low crime (practically none), so I'm trying to figure out why the monthly price for the house is so good, I'm gonna assume that it could be the sq ft of the home (too be honest that's the least on our list)

Thank you! hope everyone's having a good week!

and also Delta Drive, Saint Ann MO 6074

Thank You again, everyone's help has been very helpful!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM

^St. Ann is an older, still middle class but slightly less desirable area. I would have no qualms in general about living there, but the schools aren't as well respected -- is that an issue for you?

Flynavy knows a ton about St. Ann and the surround area; I'm sure he can chime in with specifics about that location!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^St. Ann is an older, still middle class but slightly less desirable area. I would have no qualms in general about living there, but the schools aren't as well respected -- is that an issue for you?

Flynavy knows a ton about St. Ann and the surround area; I'm sure he can chime in with specifics about that location!
Thanks Ara...Schools are not really an issue for us, right now its just my husband and I and our roommate..right now its mostly about finding a decent priced place in a good area...originally we wanted 3 bedroom, 2 bath but most the homes that are 3 bedroom 2 bath tend to be over our budget, to include the apartments, so I've managed to talk them into just a 2 bath, 2 bedroom, 2 bed/2 bath are a bit easier to find and tend to be less expensive.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:55 AM

^I'll wait on Flynavy's opinion about that particular spot then, but I would have no problem suggesting St. Ann as well as several other municipalities in that area including Overland, Florissant, Ferguson. I think you'll find quite a bit more in your price range -- given that you don't need the schools and it would be convenient for your jobs it makes a ton of sense.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I agree with Aragx, St. Ann is mostly blue collar middle class. There is an aging population, but there are still younger families that have been moving into the area. The area is split between two school districts, the desirable Pattonville school district, and the less desirable Ritenour school district, but I know you said that wouldn't matter much to you.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that general area where you mentioned. Numerous former co-workers rented duplexes, and single families up there because the price was good, however it's not the most desirable part of St. Ann. If you're considering the area, I'd look South of St. Charles Rock Rd. If your price point keeps you North of St. Charles Rock Rd, I'd check the neighborhood directly North of the golf course. I checked craigslist for sub $700 prices, and really didn't see a whole lot South of St. Charles Rock Rd...only one Home on Chaucer, which is probably a slightly nicer area, but you won't know until you drive the area....if you up the price point to about $800, there seem to be significantly more 2 BR homes for rent in the general area that I'd feel significantly better about occupying!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM

113 posts, read 286,499 times
All of the areas you mentioned are very different. St Peters are more suburban than 6th street. St Peters has major shopping and malls. Lots of chain stores. Do you have kids? Francis Howell school district has a really strange school schedule throughout the year so be sure to check into that.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I agree with Aragx, St. Ann is mostly blue collar middle class. There is an aging population, but there are still younger families that have been moving into the area. The area is split between two school districts, the desirable Pattonville school district, and the less desirable Ritenour school district, but I know you said that wouldn't matter much to you.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that general area where you mentioned. Numerous former co-workers rented duplexes, and single families up there because the price was good, however it's not the most desirable part of St. Ann. If you're considering the area, I'd look South of St. Charles Rock Rd. If your price point keeps you North of St. Charles Rock Rd, I'd check the neighborhood directly North of the golf course. I checked craigslist for sub $700 prices, and really didn't see a whole lot South of St. Charles Rock Rd...only one Home on Chaucer, which is probably a slightly nicer area, but you won't know until you drive the area....if you up the price point to about $800, there seem to be significantly more 2 BR homes for rent in the general area that I'd feel significantly better about occupying!
Thanks for all the great info! the price we are aiming for is $1100/month, we are looking at between $800-$1100 for places...

for some of the good area's you had mentioned would you mind sharing some zip codes if you have sometime? I'd greatly appreciate it! I've been using Trulia for all my searching, I like all the functions they have too for location information which is helpful, especially when you are unfamiliar about an area, only problem is that they require the town name or zip code. For places I find that we are interested in, and if they are safe area's especially, I have been trying to set up viewings of the homes, hopefully we'll be able to find something nice for our price range, we still have sometime but it doesn't hurt to always search early. (we are probably looking at moving early next month lol)

Thank You again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis