Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,174 times

Advertisements

It looks like a retro (50s or 60s?) Showtime TV Drama will be set in St. Louis! Showtime picks up series about St. Louis sex doctors.

I had never heard of Masters and Johnson prior to this, so I'm greatly looking forward to this series! I just hope we see some recreated vintage St. Louis! Mad Men is literally the only 'modern' American TV show I absolutely love (probably because it's set way back when) and this looks to be in the same vein.

I can't wait for it! I just hope they don't make it tacky / cheap / uninspiring (like they did with Pan Am and the Playboy Club) and pay attention to period details, in addition to the story line.

I can't wait for some Vintage St. Louis Glamour!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
I had vaguely heard about this show but had no idea it would be set in St. Louis. Very cool; thanks for sharing!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,890,573 times
I had no idea M&J were St. Louis based until I first heard about this show. That is really awesome but it's too bad they won't film in STL.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,026,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I had no idea M&J were St. Louis based until I first heard about this show. That is really awesome but it's too bad they won't film in STL.
As stated in one of the "vintage St. Louis" photo threads, it was made clear by a few people, you can't even identify "vintage" st. louis in most regards. I'd say I'll be interested to see how the show goes, but I picked HBO over showtime, so I'd have to wait till the series was offered on Blu-Ray.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,570,883 times
Looks like Peewee Herman's somewhat normal brother in that pic.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,174 times
flynavyj: I don't even own a television... but by the time the show airs (next year) I should have a 1950s Reproduction Philco Predicta to watch it on if all goes well Unfortunately it's not even being filmed in St. Louis, but Los Angeles (like Mad Men)- so everything we see will essentially be 'reproduction'.

1greatcity: You are so right... he does look kind of creepy doesn't he!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
It looks like a retro (50s or 60s?) Showtime TV Drama will be set in St. Louis! Showtime picks up series about St. Louis sex doctors.

I had never heard of Masters and Johnson prior to this, so I'm greatly looking forward to this series! I just hope we see some recreated vintage St. Louis! Mad Men is literally the only 'modern' American TV show I absolutely love (probably because it's set way back when) and this looks to be in the same vein.
Yes, the famous Masters and Johnson were based in St. Louis. They kept their activities very discreet, but it was common knowledge they had offices here.

Interesting idea for a TV show. I hope it doesn't seek to mimic Mad Men too much. It should find its own way. I don't think St. Louis was very glamorous in the sixties though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: