Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,344 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Victor...I am new to the forum and ran into this place doing some research.

So, I just got a job in downtown St. Louis and have about a month to find a place to call my own. Some of the crime stats relating to STL have thrown me off, but I understand that it's not much worse than any other (mid-size?) city.

I am looking for an area that is relatively quiet, but maybe w/ a younger average age, I'm only 21. Not sure what price point for the apartment would be on a 30K salary. I made a Google Map on listings I ran into via Craigslist...if you would like to check it out and tell me which ones to cross off immediately, or look more into.

Throw me things about everything in general, I'd love to hear it. I'm sure it will be a nice place to stay for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to STL, some pointers? no idea about anything :-)-picture-1.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,578,938 times
Good luck on your new career in St. Louis. It is a wonderful city, no matter what you read or hear. As you stated yourself, no difference than any other city of it's size. One good thing about the layout of the city, is that it really is not too long of a commute to get anywhere. Depends upon your home base and your hours.

Downtown has some newer loft apartments available. Many younger people take advantage of this. Highway 70 is really a no no during rush hours. I-44 has it's moments also. Hwy 40 undergoing major construction for some time now. Another area of younger people is the area around University City, which is west of downtown and near Washington University. Many guys and gals in your age bracket.

You might want to check with your new employer for some advice, also.

Another area is Webster Groves and the Shrewsbury areas. I still would suggest that you put some 'feelers' out with your new employer. Downtown has a lot to offer as far as entertainment, restaurants and such.

Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
Do a search here on this forum of some of our past threads which should give you plenty to get you started.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Much appreciated, I'll look around at the threads. Any other pointers are more than welcome though :-)

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM

9 posts, read 35,124 times
Smile GREAT apartments

Veektor,

Check out the apartments off Nottingham, (take Hampton South and head West/Right on Nottingham) in St. Louis Hills. It's right up from Francis Park (really safe park) and attract a great young crowd. I lived there for a year (then I married and had to move) and LOVED it. The prices are affordable and the buildings are so nice.

It's also close to I-44, about 10 mins. from dwntwn. I liked this area more than the dwntwn lofts b/c you see people outside all the time and don't have to be concerned about the crime.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM

63 posts, read 194,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveit2day View Post
Veektor,

Check out the apartments off Nottingham, (take Hampton South and head West/Right on Nottingham) in St. Louis Hills. It's right up from Francis Park (really safe park) and attract a great young crowd. I lived there for a year (then I married and had to move) and LOVED it. The prices are affordable and the buildings are so nice.

It's also close to I-44, about 10 mins. from dwntwn. I liked this area more than the dwntwn lofts b/c you see people outside all the time and don't have to be concerned about the crime.

Good luck!

I agree totally, The 63119 (st. louis hills) and 63139 (clifton heights) offer a great view of the "real" St. Louis, and its great brick architechture...nice parks etc. Close to everything, low crime, and lots of charming little areas.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 PM

This is really great information. I'm driving out there tomorrow from Columbus to scour the areas, this should help a whole lot. Much appreciated.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,787 times
I would look into the Ucity/Clayton area. The location is great (close access to everything) and with Wash U close by there are lots of younger people around.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM

168 posts, read 672,647 times
Also one other place that many Missourians wont agree with is the Metro East(in Illinois). Scott AFB is located there and the rentals available due to the AFB's location is great for anyone. Metro link(area light rail system that travels to downtown STL hourly) is nearby and within a few miles of nearly everywhere. The entire STL area(MO and IL) is a great place to live. Tons of things to do and lots of decent paying jobs and cheap housing. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,558 times
Check out Fairview Heights, Illinois. It sits about 15 minutes to the college town of Edwardsville, Illinois but FH is the shopping capital of Southern Illinois with a great mall and a lot of strip malls with great shops and restaurants. So many restaurant selections...we love it here. The crime rate is low in FH with a pretty decent racial mix.

It also sits 12 miles to downtown St. Louis, but has a metrolink station that runs from like 6am - 12am that offers about a 15 minute train ride to STL, which would be perfect for the impending close of I-64, the main thoroughfare to STL from the metro-east. What I wouldn't give for my company to relocate to downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis