Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 PM

287 posts, read 503,186 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I am in Denver. I suppose I suffer from the 'anywhere but here' syndrome. I am wanting to relocate somewhere new, somewhere where there are rivers, perhaps. I have been through STL many times as a truck driver, and the place always made me uncomfortable. It's because the
terrian is so hilly. Out West things are obviously more open. I am afraid I will get claustrophobic and stressed out in STL. But maybe it's what you make of it. What do you think? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 02:45 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
I ask this because I am in Denver. I suppose I suffer from the 'anywhere but here' syndrome. I am wanting to relocate somewhere new, somewhere where there are rivers, perhaps. I have been through STL many times as a truck driver, and the place always made me uncomfortable. It's because the
terrian is so hilly. Out West things are obviously more open. I am afraid I will get claustrophobic and stressed out in STL. But maybe it's what you make of it. What do you think? thanks.
Wow! Well....I moved from Denver to St. Louis and I'm really glad I did. I was born and raised in Denver and have all my family and friends back there. I originally came here for grad school and it was a great choice.

I'm surprised that you find St. Louis hilly. lol. It's....pretty flat. And it isn't THAT dense so it would seem hard to grow very claustrophobic. I mean...I can, like Denver, go just 15 minutes and find a great hiking spot. St. Louis is pretty sprawled but it's nothing like LA or Dallas or something like that. It's really very manageably sized.

The only think you might miss is the mountains. And Denver made me claustrophobic because it's so isolated--there's NOTHING around. Chicago, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, and KC are all short drives from St. Louis.

And....hey....it's A LOT cheaper than Denver.

That said....Denver is an awesome city, too. Most people are doing the reverse--going from STL to Denver--but the Denver to STL route is just as interesting!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 103,399 times
Wink Denver St. Louis?

It's funny that this topic has come up because I have lived in St. louis all my life and have visited Denver every year for the past 4 years. I can say this, overall Denver is a much cleaner healthier looking city. I love the state of Colorado. i think the countryside is down right awesome to view.I suppose every area has its pros and cons. I at time suffer from "the grass is greener on the other side" type mindstate and desire to move to Denver, Then I realize that the basics of life are the same everywhere. Who am i kidding I am a St. Louis dude forever. Plus i can't go without my summer days at bush stadium. could never exchange it for coors field! lol

Old 02-24-2008, 03:58 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
I don't get claustrophobic easily. And St. Louis isn't really that hilly, not compared to the Ozarks anyway. The mountains are beautiful, but so is the arch and the land in St. Louis.

I guess you just get used to things.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Actually the city of St Louis is pretty dense. The pop density is towards the top of the list for midwestern cities. City and metro population is just about the same between STL and Denver. Stl is actually slightly bigger. As far as terrain goes, it is very flat so I would think you will be ok.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM

287 posts, read 503,186 times
I am surprised STL isn't hilly. That was my impression. Driving Eastward towards STL,
the highways, the exits ramps, and surrounding area just seemed too closed in, and tight. I thought it was due to hilliness. I know what once I get
to the other side of the river into Illinois, the land becomes very flat and open, and
I immediately feel more relaxed. Nevertheless, I hate it in Denver. The mountains do not interest me. I go up to the mountains, and feel completely bored. I would rather take a drive through farmland and vine yards of the lower Midwest, or sit by the river than go up into the Rockies.
I am now planning to move in two months. (when my lease expires). I do not want
to drive far, though. I have a lot of stuff, including two cats, and don't want to relocate any further than I have to. I look forward to your further thoughts and opinions
regarding terrain, claustrophobia, or whatever else you feel like mentioning.
ps...where do you go to get away in STL? Are there a lot of hiking areas there?
Scenic drives? National forests? Would you rather go North up along the Illnois side,
or would you rather go West and SouthWest deeper into Missouri. I find the whole
area fascinating (on a map, that is)

Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
There are some great nature areas in Missouri. In fact, I think there's a nature reserve not far from St. Louis. Lake of the Ozarks is beautiful as well, although I'm not sure if there are any public docks. But if you stay at a resort on the lake they usually have a private dock. The ozarks have nice nature areas. My Dad occasionally goes fishing around here. There are parks we've gone hiking at before. I live about 3 hours from St. Louis, though, so it would have to be more than a day trip if you came down here.

There are plenty of lakes in Missouri. I couldn't tell you about any in Illinois.

MBG: Shaw Nature Reserve
Quote:
SNR is on I-44 in Gray Summit, MO, approximately 32 miles southwest of the Missouri Botanical Garden (in St. Louis) and 22 miles west of the I-44/I-270 interchange. The Gray Summit I-44 exit is # 253, just two exits west of Six Flags (Allenton/Eureka).

Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,903 times
I would say st. louis IS hilly without a doubt on the missouri side. Places to go? You're in such luck because there is the ozark corridor beginning southwest st. louis county, where small foothills begin. An hour and half drive southwest brings you to some of the most beautiful country the midwest has to offer, IMO, the st. francoise mountains. There is the ozark trail, a trail that stretches all the way to arkansas that rugged outdoors enthusiasts love to hike. Summers, there are float trips, which my family goes down to stl for in the summer and numerous fresh water springs and rivers. Do a little research on the ozarks.

There's rock climbing, scuba diving in underground caves (i met some people in florida once who actually fly to missouri to scuba), mountain bike trail, etc. I think there's even a small ski resort in st. louis county on one of the larger foothills. Many people don't realize this about the st. louis area...but from what ive researched theres a ton of unique outdoors stuff to do. And in my opinion, the outdoors opportunity and diversity in Missouri blows most of the other midwestern states to the water, with the exception of wisconsin and northern michigan.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Another favorite outdoor past time is floating. We're not talking about whitewater or anything, but there is nothing better in this world than a canoe on the river with the hot sun beating down on you and about 6 beers in your belly. You can do a longer trip and camp for the night, so much fun.

Missouri has some wonderful state parks, and they're well-cared for and Missourians are proud of them. Check out their Web site: Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspystl View Post
Who am i kidding I am a St. Louis dude forever. Plus i can't go without my summer days at bush stadium. could never exchange it for coors field! lol
I grew up in Denver.....as a Cards fan. lol. I think the most exciting thing about moving here for me was actually being able to watch the Cards regularly in person. Coors Field is a great ballpark....but Denver as a baseball town is weak, weak, weak compared to St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis