Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 AM

536 posts, read 830,008 times

Advertisements

I've spent a few years working as a software engineer building financial trading systems, but I'm bored with the domain and I have kind of been thinking that I might like to change industries and lend my considerable knowledge of software development to something like healthcare systems or bioinformatics research and do some good in the world. Problem is I am not too familiar with this type of work in the St. Louis metro area, and I am wondering if anyone can recommend some companies to research? Not much on DICE that's for sure.

One consideration I have is Monsanto as I know they do work in bioinformatics, but I don't know because they have a lot of haters on the internet There might potentially be some ethical concerns there.

Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM

536 posts, read 830,008 times
I've received some excellent advice via a few local contacts on Twitter and a couple of private messages that I received here. Thanks so much for the help and thanks for the DMs. Much appreciated.

One of the places I'm going to be looking into I was actually born in the hospital ... I wonder if I should put that on my resume

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
All I can offer is that one of my best friends works at Monsanto, and loves it. There's quite a bit of healthcare in STL too, and a fair number of life sciences start-ups according to my husband, who used to do a bit of work with companies in the industry.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
Default need a job

Im Jonathan and Im 18 I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get a job if I quit without a 2 week notice cause of a stupid reason ive been searching everywere and I dont know if i should show my work history or not cause I just worked at six flags and I dont know any of the managers names a educated response would be cool

Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Jtaylor3377- I'm not sure about Six Flags, but a lot of companies put people on a "Do Not Hire" list if you quit without 2 weeks notice. The Do Not Hire list comes up on your background check (my sister-in-law had the same problem, she was refused an awesome paying job recently because she was on a do-not-hire list from a company she worked for in high school).

Overall though, I believe that honesty is the best policy. I worked on the Human Resources side of things at my last company- and although any jobs of a short tenure bring up red flags to a Hiring Manager, if the candidate's resume is otherwise impressive and they are able to present a well-thought out argument as to why they resigned, it may not necessarily go against you.

I would be more concerned about whether Six Flags put you on a Do Not Hire list for not handing in a 2 weeks notice. Some companies won't care, but this really may come back to bite you down the track (as it did with my sister-in-law).

Good Luck!

P.S. To the OP, I've also heard good things about working for Monsanto despite the opposition toward the company. If your personal ethics on what Monsanto does aren't necessarily a factor, I agree that they may have some excellent opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis