Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

Hi all - My boyfriend and I (mid 20s) are highly considering a move OUT of the NY-Long Island area and want to begin our lives together in a not so congested place with far less attitude and much more optimism. Overall seeking more relaxed lifestyle but still enjoy some of the urban attractions (museums, parks, food, culture).

It sounds like St. Louis is a great place to do that from what I've read on other threads - at our age do you think St. Louis is a good place to bunker down at least for the next 10-15 years? We'd like to start a family soon, and I'm definitely not looking forward to doing that in NY.

any ideas on specific neighborhoods? We like malls, parks, restaurants, and hockey. Is there a "downtown" as you would find in a large urban city set up? Or more like all-over charm?

Tech jobs? How's the Apple store in Kirkwood? Is that still considered St. Louis?

Food Jobs? I am an aspiring culinary professional.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
It is a broken record around here recommending CWE, but CWE gives you easy access to Scottrade (where the Blues play, though there are other minor league teams in the area too), Forest Park, and quite a few good restaurant areas (CWE itself, but more so in Clayton).

Food and tech are two of St Louis' biggest strengths. Restaurants have been a long standing strength with concentrations in South Grand and Clayton, in particular. I am sure I am forgetting other regions, but those are two where you could find high end culinary jobs.
Tech is a more recent strength. St Louis is a rapidly emerging tech hub, with many new jobs in startup companies as well as established giants like Monsanto, Savvis, and World Wide Technology. No idea about the Apple Store, but Kirkwood is part of metro St Louis (though actually a town that grew on its own).

Schools are a bit of a toss up. Districts can change pretty rapidly for better or worse here in 10 years. Since you don't have any kids yet, you would have plenty of time to develop an opinion on the different district, magnet school, and private school options. Private school enrollment is pretty high here. You could initially move without thinking about school districts and figure out if you want to move again within the region once you have kids near school age.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,801 times
Yes we have a downtown with housing options. You can check out the Loft buildings along Washington Ave or he condos on Old Post Office Plaza. Plenty of park space nearby with plenty of things to do. Let me know if you have questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis