Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 11,429 times

Advertisements

I want to have a nice view! Are there certain areas or neighborhoods you would associate with lovely views? Could be city or country type views, golf course, rolling hills, nice sunsets or a great park. I am moving from Alaska. I know it wont be like AK but I just don't want to look out my window at my neighbors junk. What areas would you recommend.

Thank you
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
That's an interesting question.

I personally prefer scenic and country views...they work great for sunday drives in my car or rides on my motorcycle, and as such prefer the areas around Wildwood, MO and Franklin County near Labadie, MO and Washington, MO.

During the fall I took one of my flight students on a flight towards Washington, MO which was absolutely gorgeous. Great view of the changing foliage, valleys, hills, river, and town....If I had a choice, small town living is for me.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I think flynavyj has offered excellent advice.

I've seen some nice views out in the direction of Eureka, Pacific, Wildwood, etc personally. Also, there are random spots throughout the county that are surprisingly pretty, but I would target the I-44 corridor first of all.

Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliSean View Post
I want to have a nice view! Are there certain areas or neighborhoods you would associate with lovely views? Could be city or country type views, golf course, rolling hills, nice sunsets or a great park. I am moving from Alaska. I know it wont be like AK but I just don't want to look out my window at my neighbors junk. What areas would you recommend.

Thank you
K
Wow, that could run the gamut. Some of the coolest views I've seen are from city lofts or of Forest Park from CWE high rises.

Also St. Albans in the far burbs.

You might need to narrow things down a bit.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Yeah if you like rural scenery then any of the rolling hills and bluffs communities on the outskirts will be your best bet. St. Albans sounds nice. I know parts of Eureka and Fenton have nice rolling hills too with views of bluffs, hills and valleys.

For urban scenery, I love Washington Ave between convention center and 16th-- Some beautiful old high-rise and loft buildings; reminds me of parts of the Chicago "Loop" district. Lafayette Square is a magnificent urban park and I have often thought, if I had the bucks, I'd love to live in one of those grand victorians overlooking the square. The Central West End has some of the most beautiful streetscapes in the midwest (a prime example would be Fullerton's Westminster-- the 4400 and 4500 blocks of Westminster Ave between Boyle and Taylor-- there are many other comparable blocks in the CWE), but again, those old mansions are quite expensive to own.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 11,429 times
Wow all these areas sound pretty. Where are these bluffs communities you mention Zach_33? I will have to check some of these areas out on Google before the move. It sounds like even if I can't find a house with a view there will be beauty within a short drive.
I am trying to narrow down areas to look for real estate and an area to call home.
My husband will be working at Boeing so commute time is important for him.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
St. Albans is gorgeous!!! Gorgeous homes, lake, bluffs, etc...Bring a checkbook though, cause it can be pricey, and getting in and out of the community can be rough in poor weather (snow/ice).

I also love some the feel of homes in Alton, IL on the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi. There are also some beautiful turn of the century homes over there that can be picked up for a steal compared to comparable prices in St. Louis. The issue I see is that Alton really hasn't done a lot to ensure the longevity of their historic homes, with many of them being sold so cheaply, the residents often don't have the financial means to preserve the buildings, which can and has lead to some neighborhood decay.

This home looks pretty awesome though...and if you drop into Street View the shot along Riverview Drive is pretty awesome! And (btw - it's approximately a 25-30 minute commute to Boeing)

Last edited by flynavyj; 03-10-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliSean View Post
Wow all these areas sound pretty. Where are these bluffs communities you mention Zach_33? I will have to check some of these areas out on Google before the move. It sounds like even if I can't find a house with a view there will be beauty within a short drive.
I am trying to narrow down areas to look for real estate and an area to call home.
My husband will be working at Boeing so commute time is important for him.
My knowledge is limited, but I have friends that live in both Avalon Hills (Fenton) and The Legends (Eureka) and these are both scenically interesting communities situated near or among the Meramec river bluffs along I-44. It's pretty country that has veered distinctly suburban over the last couple decades, but still very commutable to downtown St. Louis. I've never been to St. Albans but I have heard it is also quite beautiful. I went on a hike last Fall in the Weldon Springs conservation area just south of I-70 and west of the Missouri river and the views of the river valley from the bluffs were pretty awesome. No homes there of course, but an easy half-day trip/hike for city dwellers.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Take a drive down 44 toward Rolla and get off on some of the country roads. It's really pretty out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis