Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:08 PM

150 posts, read 244,106 times

Advertisements

According to all of the regular posters here, St. Louis is super safe. How do you explain this?

Six St. Louis homicides in 18 hours may all be unrelated : News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,079,203 times
6 dead, 2 injured in less than 24 hours in St. Louis - CBS News

The first shooting took place around 3:00 p.m. Thursday when St. Louis Police say bullets from assault style weapons pierced through several cars as they waited at a traffic light in the northern part of the city.

Witnesses tell the station two men hopped out of a black, or silver, Dodge Charger and started firing shots as vehicles came over a hill.

Police say a man in his 50's who was in a Hyundai automobile died after being shot in the chest. Another man was shot in the shoulder and taken to an area hospital, while a third man was treated after broken glass caused injuries, reports the station.

Authorities believe the suspects in that shooting may be connected to a car theft that took place on Wednesday. Sources tell the station the suspects in the car theft are also believed to have stolen diamond earrings Thursday morning in Creve Couer, hours before the shooting in St. Louis.

Less than four hours after that shooting, homicide detectives were called to a St. Louis apartment complex after a man's body was found in a burned car. A neighbor tells the station the car was engulfed in flames when authorities arrived on the scene.

Police have not released any further information regarding the identity of the body.

The third homicide of the night happened on Interstate 70 just before 8 p.m. Police say a woman was driving when a car pulled up alongside her and opened fire. The woman was shot and then crashed her car. Authorities say she was rushed to an area hospital where she died, reports the station.

Then, at around 9:30 p.m., a man in his late teens or early 20's was found dead in an alley. Police say the victim died of a gunshot wound to his head.

On Friday morning, before 9 a.m., homicide detectives were called to a location in north St. Louis where two people were found dead of gunshot wounds. Police say both victims are black males either in their late 20's or early 30's, according to the station.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
According to all of the regular posters here, St. Louis is super safe. How do you explain this?

All of the shootings happened in the same fairly small area of north St Louis that few residents of the region ever set foot in.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM

135 posts, read 280,514 times
Quote:

No one is denying that St. Louis city has, on average, a much higher crime than the national average. I live in the city and have never felt unsafe; if I lived in some other part of the city, I would feel a lot more unsafe. What's your point?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
topospace,

Considering your history of name calling and everything else, St. Louis is not safe for people like you. I would recommend that you stay as far away from St. Louis or any other city as possible. I can tell you that St. Louisans will treat you like you treat them.

For normal people who don't have chips on their shoulders, St. Louis is a cool place. There is a lot of crime in St. Louis just like most cities now. If you have average common sense (I mean just average) you can live here for years with out feeling unsafe.

But you and those like you, STAY OUT!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:09 PM

208 posts, read 236,173 times
Quote:
Six St. Louis homicides in 18 hours...
Horrible. Where's the outrage national media?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 PM

150 posts, read 244,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
topospace,

Considering your history of name calling and everything else, St. Louis is not safe for people like you. I would recommend that you stay as far away from St. Louis or any other city as possible. I can tell you that St. Louisans will treat you like you treat them.

For normal people who don't have chips on their shoulders, St. Louis is a cool place. There is a lot of crime in St. Louis just like most cities now. If you have average common sense (I mean just average) you can live here for years with out feeling unsafe.

But you and those like you, STAY OUT!
You sound like a racist. I'm going to call Jesse and AL!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Stop trolling topospace, go outside, meet some people, maybe make some friends even? Seriously, did St. Louis steal your girlfriend?

Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:

You're bad at statistics? 18 hours is not a significant data sample.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStLouisan View Post
No one is denying that St. Louis city has, on average, a much higher crime than the national average. I live in the city and have never felt unsafe; if I lived in some other part of the city, I would feel a lot more unsafe. What's your point?
I deny it; that's nonsense. City boundaries are arbitrary, and comparing cities instead of non-political units like MSA's is making apples-to-oranges comparisons.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:12 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You're bad at statistics? 18 hours is not a significant data sample.

I deny it; that's nonsense. City boundaries are arbitrary, and comparing cities instead of non-political units like MSA's is making apples-to-oranges comparisons.
Last MSA ranking I saw St. Louis was listed as safer than topospace's LA... (and a lot of other metros...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis