Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 7,682 times

Advertisements

Looking at a position in Saint Louis near Forest Park. What is the daily commute like from West County, particularly Ballwin, Ellisville, or Wildwood? I lived in the area many years ago and think it's a great place to raise kids.

Commute world be typical m-f, 9-6pm. Does public transportation work well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Public transit could maybe be an option but likely not very convenient. There's a bus that runs on Manchester Rd to the Maplewood MetroLink stop (#57); you would then transfer and get off at whatever stop is convenient for you near Forest Park (there are several on the North side of the park).

I have no personal experience with this car commute, but I have lots of co-workers who live out that way that swear its only 30 minutes from Ballwin to Clayton. I'd add an extra 10 minutes or so to get to the Central West End (east side of Forest Park). Obviously add more time the further west you go past Ballwin.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintlouie7 View Post
Looking at a position in Saint Louis near Forest Park. What is the daily commute like from West County, particularly Ballwin, Ellisville, or Wildwood? I lived in the area many years ago and think it's a great place to raise kids.

Commute world be typical m-f, 9-6pm. Does public transportation work well?

Thanks!
Not well. There are some express buses that will take you from Ballwin and other West County suburbs. Many feed into either Clayton Metro center that is 10 to 12 minutes to the Central West End or Shrewsburry station that is a little further from the central corridor. Imo, it will be less trouble to drive. I'm not familiar with 270 between 8 and 9 in the morning but the 64 should flow OK until you get east of 170. Even then it's nothing too traumatic depending on your tolerance for city traffic.

Public transportation in a region of 3 million people is not very good in low density suburbs. The good thing with St Louis is we have a great freeway system with updated interchanges that keeps traffic flowing pretty good. Combine that with low gas prices it's a no brainer the car will be a choice for getting around.

Welcome back to St Louis.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:21 PM

9 posts, read 7,682 times
Thanks!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:49 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
It would suck from Ballwin/Manchester/Chestefield etc. due to it takes a lot of time to just get to the highway and well then....you'll sit.

Look at Webster Groves, Glendale or Clayton if you want easy commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis