Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 PM

147 posts, read 384,231 times

Advertisements

I don't care where anyone went to high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

91 posts, read 166,166 times
[quote=DeBaliviere;9008610]I don't care where anyone went to high school.[/quote]

Unquestionably the most intelligent and open-minded individual on the STL boards. I would like to buy you a virtual drink, sir/ma'am.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times
I agree. I have never asked that question to someone I just met.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,043 times
Ahhh, memories. It's one of the funny little quirks I've always loved about St. Louis. I never take offense at it, as I've always seen it (and mean it when I'm the one asking) as a way to find common bonds. St. Louis is small. Really, really small compared to most major cities. And that generally means that you know someone who went to school with someone, or have a sibling/cousin/friend who graduated with someone's sibling/cousin/friend, etc. It's a way to feel close, connected.

Not only am I asked where I went to high school, but where my parents went to high school, because chances are that my parents know your parents or someone else that went there, too. I just played the "St. Louis Geography" game with a business associate I've worked with for 9 years and never knew grew up in St. Louis. We're too far apart in age to have attended school together, but we found it a fun "connection" that both of our mothers went to Soldan-Blewett. I'm sorry, but how cool is that? I live in Los Angeles and he lives in Washington, D.C., and both of our mothers went to the same high school, even though at different times.

No, it doesn't mean anything, but it gives us a common bond that adds a layer to our relationship that's kind of nice to feel. For those who scoff, just wait 'til you're my age -- you may come around.

-- Jill, Parkway Central, class of '79.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
dude, if the question offends you chances are you are too self conscious about this crap. i went to U City, so dont give me whining about not understanding stereotyping. people stereotype kids there all the time, and hell its fun to mess with them. a friend of mine was into this girl from webster and we used to bike up to her house and chill. i played up being from the UC and a few months later she asked me if i could hook her up with a handgun. i laughed for like 5 minutes straight. it was hella funny.

i agree with the others saying its all about connecting. it just happened to me today as i checked out of mizzou quads. the RA asked me where i went and turns out we knew some people in common. if i chill with anyone they often ask this and i dont feel like im looked down upon when i say where i went. sure some people are pretty hateful and think its ****, but thats usually someone on the net, like a story about a fight was being discussed on the fox forum thingy and people were hating.

but really all this silly sensitivity is ridiculous. its an entirely pertinent question that can lead to realizing there is someone you both know and you can chat about them.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,021,618 times
I would get askd that question at kob interviews. I would answer "Roosevelt" (like it really mattered)
Then I realized that in Saint Louis it does matter, and that Roosevelt high school has a less then Stellar Reputation.

Except I went to Roosevelt in Hyde Park, NY and graduated with Rick Horton

Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 PM

711 posts, read 2,109,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
I don't care where anyone went to high school.
Agreed.

The funny thing is, I've lived here 3 years and I don't think I've ever been asked this. Others say they are plagued by this question.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 AM

229 posts, read 656,189 times
McCluer Sr High Class of 1974

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,876,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Agreed.

The funny thing is, I've lived here 3 years and I don't think I've ever been asked this. Others say they are plagued by this question.
I agree, I never get asked this question, however I live in the city and the younger generation really isn't into the high school question.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,985 times
The asking of this question came up this weekend over a pint with a group of 28-34 yr old transplants. While some had never been asked the question, the overall opininion was that it sure is better than other questions people had been asked in other regions including Pheonix, Los Angeles, Dallas and Denver.

What do you do?
What do you drive?
Where do you live?

All of which were asked repeatedly solely to size up the person's bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis