Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

article says will still keep presence here but will lose hundreds of jobs..

TD Ameritrade buying rival brokerage Scottrade for $4 billion; STL will lose hundreds of jobs | Business | stltoday.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:49 AM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Yep...terrible! Where will the scottrade workers go?

Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM

116 posts, read 211,693 times
There are currently 1800. They will keep 500-1000 employees in STL. TD Ameritrade described it as a "large presence".

Hopefully, they keep the 1000. That will make it a bit easier to swallow. The good thing, is the fact that STL has a very robust financial services industry. These displaced workers, should be able to be absorbed locally. Large companies like Edward Jones, Stifel and Wells Fargo Advisors, are all headquartered here. Many others have a large presence. While losing Scottrade is a negative, many will be absorbed. Maybe some others will create new start-ups or use their skills to elevate existing start-ups or companies. Glass half full........

Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
It may depend partly on how many people they believe they can hire in Omaha.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:19 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
I would bet TD will reduce more than originally stated once the deal is complete. TD already has many of these same positions at their own headquarter facilities. I do hope the displaced Scottrade employees find a new co. quickly & easily but I am not hopeful as there are not a lot of open positions at the other firms.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:29 AM

One thing to keep in mind. After seeing the title of the thread, it seems to blame St. Louis. The sale had nothing to do with St. Louis or it's viability as a business/finance hub. Roger Riney, the majority owner announced last year that he has blood cancer. He is now 70+ years old. He likely felt this was a good time to cash out his business. While this is all disappointing and we all wish he would have sold to a local ownership or back to his employees, this again, has nothing to do with St. Louis not being able to keep HQ's. That has been the case with a lot of companies that have left. Buy-outs, poor decisions and takeovers are the main reason STL has lost so many HQs. While I think local leaders could do much more to keep businesses, much of this is out of our control.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 AM

203 posts, read 271,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtownBnR View Post
One thing to keep in mind. After seeing the title of the thread, it seems to blame St. Louis. The sale had nothing to do with St. Louis or it's viability as a business/finance hub. Roger Riney, the majority owner announced last year that he has blood cancer. He is now 70+ years old. He likely felt this was a good time to cash out his business. While this is all disappointing and we all wish he would have sold to a local ownership or back to his employees, this again, has nothing to do with St. Louis not being able to keep HQ's. That has been the case with a lot of companies that have left. Buy-outs, poor decisions and takeovers are the main reason STL has lost so many HQs. While I think local leaders could do much more to keep businesses, much of this is out of our control.
Some have offered the theory that the general reservedness and conservative nature of our local culture has resulted in our local companies being less acquisitive than their peers. In other words, something about our culture leads us to be the sellers, not the buyers. I'm not taking a position on that, but I've heard it from time to time, certainly around the Inbev takeover.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:20 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
Some have offered the theory that the general reservedness and conservative nature of our local culture has resulted in our local companies being less acquisitive than their peers. In other words, something about our culture leads us to be the sellers, not the buyers. I'm not taking a position on that, but I've heard it from time to time, certainly around the Inbev takeover.
I think globalization plays a part, and that's going to always favor the bigger cities. There's no universe where St. Louis becomes a financial capital surpassing the New Yorks or Londons of the world.

In this particular case, I don't think the problem is St. Louis lacking in cutthroat and aggressive attitude compared to those sharks in Omaha.

Note that St. Louis metro is home to 19 of the Fortune 1000 (1.9%), and 1.1% of the US urban population, so I think we're doing alright.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:03 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
I guess this means Scottrade Center will be renamed eventually then. I say name it Kiel Center again, but no way that happens with all the money involved, someone else will plaster their names on it. Maybe the Inbev Arena or Monsanto or some BS like that.

Seriously, it would be cool if Trump bought the naming rights and Named in Trump Center or Trump Arena!

Old 11-17-2016, 03:15 PM

^ I think the deal with Scottrade has several more years left on the deal.
It will be renamed TD Ameritrade Center, until the naming rights deal expires.

After that, who knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis