Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

now:

Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore Lead Nation in Population Loss; Maricopa County Has Biggest Gain

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...7/cb17-44.html

And St. Louis County drops below 1 million for the first time ever.

Let the spinning begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
St. Louis County officially dropped below one million people in the 2010 Census. The yearly estimates since then had pushed the county back above one million, but it would appear the county's growth has gone negative again.

Granted this is all assuming the estimates are accurate. Chicago was told for years between 2000 and 2010 that it was growing, only to be slapped with a decrease of 200,000 in the official 2010 Census.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
St. Louis County officially dropped below one million people in the 2010 Census. The yearly estimates since then had pushed the county back above one million, but it would appear the county's growth has gone negative again.

Granted this is all assuming the estimates are accurate. Chicago was told for years between 2000 and 2010 that it was growing, only to be slapped with a decrease of 200,000 in the official 2010 Census.
I think it's leveled out, stl county. The growth is in nearby Jefferson, St. Charles, and Franklin counties as their populations continue to increase as people move further out.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:23 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Sprawl has been happening for decades, the fact that the center of gravity has passed an arbitrary political boundary is about as meaningful as a birthday.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
I didn't see the STL County statistics in the links provided, but I do see that STL City is still hemorrhaging. I guess the bright side is that there will be less traffic next time I'm in town. But maybe not if St. Charles makes up for it.

Not surprised to see Cook County shrinking because of the insane taxes in IL. Also not surprised that Austin, DFW, and San Antonio continue to explode, even in the face of a slumping energy sector.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM

685 posts, read 768,174 times
Population loss in StL City is being fueled by the black exodus from North City. Same story on Chicago's South Side.

As for the rest of the StL region, our lackluster growth is probably the result of poor infrastructure, too much government, and a perception issue.

Census estimates were wrong for the StL area from 2000 - 2010. I have my doubts about these estimates. However, I haven't seen much growth here in my lifetime. I've only seen a shift in population away from the core. St. Charles County was essentially rural until the 80s. It may be pushing 500k residents sooner than we anticipate.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Population loss in StL City is being fueled by the black exodus from North City. Same story on Chicago's South Side.

As for the rest of the StL region, our lackluster growth is probably the result of poor infrastructure, too much government, and a perception issue.

Census estimates were wrong for the StL area from 2000 - 2010. I have my doubts about these estimates. However, I haven't seen much growth here in my lifetime. I've only seen a shift in population away from the core. St. Charles County was essentially rural until the 80s. It may be pushing 500k residents sooner than we anticipate.
St. Charles county is getting crowded in areas. Traffic can get VERY heavy there. I live in Southwest FL and I miss the infrastructure of St. Louis metro. The roads are designed better up there, more lanes on the highways and everything is in short driving distance. Down here during the winter season the roads cant handle the influx of visitors and long wait times in hospitals, lines at grocery stores and such.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I didn't see the STL County statistics in the links provided, but I do see that STL City is still hemorrhaging. I guess the bright side is that there will be less traffic next time I'm in town. But maybe not if St. Charles makes up for it.

Not surprised to see Cook County shrinking because of the insane taxes in IL. Also not surprised that Austin, DFW, and San Antonio continue to explode, even in the face of a slumping energy sector.
If people were going to flee due to taxes, then Cook's collar counties should have an even larger exodus than Cook. Property taxes are actually higher outside of the city of Chicago than within it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
More sprawl means more traffic, as everyone drives more to get anywhere.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
More sprawl means more traffic, as everyone drives more to get anywhere.
Yeah, that's why I said St Charles may make up for it. The state better pony up some cash and get more highways and bridges built out that way.

Last edited by 1grin_g0; 03-23-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis