Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

19 posts, read 54,469 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the city my entire life, but my wife is from Collinsville, so I've gotten to know the East Side a little bit. If I were looking for a more suburban or small-town lifestyle, I'd look at Collinsville, Belleville, Edwardsville, Waterloo, or Columbia - all pleasant, super-safe places to live with a strong community feel. And they're really no further from downtown than Ballwin or St. Charles. (Even Waterloo is only half an hour from downtown, and you can cross the river on the JB Bridge and avoid the Poplar St. Bridge mess.)

Anybody who says "avoid Illinois" doesn't know what they're talking about. And I say this as a die-hard Missouri-side city boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Dunno for sure, but I would wager that the "avoid IL" is for the most part directed mainly if not exclusively at the East StL part [as previously mentioned herein this thread]. I've not seen any posts referring to anything negative about any other part of the metro area [besides the taxes and guv]. Best of luck to yas...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 AM

216 posts, read 628,041 times
I would add that my sister and BIL are relocating from Columbia, Illiniois to Ladue or Clayton because the schools in Columbia are very poorly ranked on the more reputable sites. Yes, you can find some good ratings on the "questionable" sites but the ones that compare apples to apples like the Chicago schools to Columbia, Illinois highlight the deficiencies. Columbia is a very small town with a small town menatlity. Everyone knows everyone else's business. It lacks a decent grocery store and the "restaurants" leave something to be desired. The taxes are outrageous, as they are trying to improve their schools. I think it might be a great place to live in 10 years, but for now it's a farm town. Some pretty neighborhoods have been built but I would vote for Missouri any day.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM

287 posts, read 350,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
I would add that my sister and BIL are relocating from Columbia, Illiniois to Ladue or Clayton because the schools in Columbia are very poorly ranked on the more reputable sites. Yes, you can find some good ratings on the "questionable" sites but the ones that compare apples to apples like the Chicago schools to Columbia, Illinois highlight the deficiencies. Columbia is a very small town with a small town menatlity. Everyone knows everyone else's business. It lacks a decent grocery store and the "restaurants" leave something to be desired. The taxes are outrageous, as they are trying to improve their schools. I think it might be a great place to live in 10 years, but for now it's a farm town. Some pretty neighborhoods have been built but I would vote for Missouri any day.
I don't know much about Columbia, but Edwardsville has some of the top ranked in Illinois. I think the schools in O'Fallon/Belleville/Collinsville are all fine too.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 PM

13 posts, read 43,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoon View Post
I've lived in the city my entire life, but my wife is from Collinsville, so I've gotten to know the East Side a little bit. If I were looking for a more suburban or small-town lifestyle, I'd look at Collinsville, Belleville, Edwardsville, Waterloo, or Columbia - all pleasant, super-safe places to live with a strong community feel. And they're really no further from downtown than Ballwin or St. Charles. (Even Waterloo is only half an hour from downtown, and you can cross the river on the JB Bridge and avoid the Poplar St. Bridge mess.)

Anybody who says "avoid Illinois" doesn't know what they're talking about. And I say this as a die-hard Missouri-side city boy.
I live in St Louis City and work in Fairview Heights, IL. I would prefer to live in the city, but if I was looking for a more suburban environment, I would much prefer Edwardsville, Alton or Shiloh/O'Fallon, IL anyday over ANYWHERE in St Louis County, MO.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:09 PM

287 posts, read 350,744 times
^ Lucky guy/gal. Get to live in the city and get a reverse commute!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM

36 posts, read 118,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbelt71 View Post
I live in St Louis City and work in Fairview Heights, IL. I would prefer to live in the city, but if I was looking for a more suburban environment, I would much prefer Edwardsville, Alton or Shiloh/O'Fallon, IL anyday over ANYWHERE in St Louis County, MO.
We are definitely looking for a nice suburb with good schools. We enjoy visiting the city but I don't think living in the city is what we want to do right now with our young kids. It's already going to be culture shock moving out to the mid-west. I just don't want to be too far away from the 'good stuff to do' in the St. Louis area. Is Edwardsville within reason? Thanks for any and all info!!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
The suburbs on either side of the river are fine.

I think property is typically cheaper on the Illinois side, but from my understanding the taxes are a little higher. But apparently they don't have as many personal property taxes, so it's a little easier to understand.

Just my observation.

You do hear Southern Illinoisans complain that the state cares more about Chicago than anywhere else. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, though.

All in all, either are just fine.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,528 times
We are moving from Indiana to Edwardsville, IL at the end of the month. We started out looking in Chesterfield, MO area but we had read such great things about Edwardsville from this forum that we decided to check it out. We found a great home and hope that we are happy with our decision.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Congratulations! Hope you love it and welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis