Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:28 PM

492 posts, read 487,055 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

After living in Connecticut for wonderful 7 years, it seems it is now time to move.
Me and my wife are both physicians looking for jobs for next year once we finish our training.
Wife seems to be tilting towards a wonderful opportunity in Wash U and so I am focussing my search in the surrounding area. My status needs me to work in an underserved area for next 3 years. We have 2 daughters..high schooler and elementary schooler.

I am getting job opportunities in Mt. Vernon IL , Washington MO, Poplar Bluff, MO and Farmington MO. I understand that Poplar Bluff is atleast 2.5 hrs away from St. Louis, hence it is low down on my list.

I shall really appreciate if the wonderful people in the City Data forum can help us with our lots and lots of questions. We have never lived in any state except CT after we came to USA.

We have had great interaction with CT residents who have been very open and welcoming to outsiders. However, these same friends have been warning us not to consider MO due to racial discrimination. We are Brown..., non Christian and we have been warned by many friends that the strong Christian community of MO, Kansas and AL do not welcome outsiders.

Would love to hear from all of you. Also, What is your opinion about Mt.Vernon vs Washington MO as places of work for me. I may have to live in the place of work town at least 10 days a month for my on Call duties. Other days I can commute from St. Louis.

Where do you think we should make our home... Areas of St.. Louis near Wash U?? Or in between Wash U and the 2 towns where I may get job? Schools are of utmost priority.

What shockers should we expect on moving from the North East !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 69,466 times
Well, none of those areas are really in "St. Louis", they more somewhat nearby and not really in daily driving range for the areas you are asking about.

Washington is a pretty long drive. I'd say ~1 hour to maybe 1 hour 30 minutes to get home to from Wash U. Washington itself is fairly nice though.

Farmington is further, but about the same drive time.

Mt. Vernon could take 2 hours to get home.

Popular Bluff is over 125 miles from the city. ~3 hour drive home.

If you are working in Washinton and your spouse is at Wash U., I would recommend Eureka, Ellisville, Wildwood, Ballwin, Chesterfield, and possibly Fenton. All are good areas that are roughly mid-way on the drives (so 30 - 45 minutes for each of you).

I don't know enough about IL to comment on mid-way points to Mt. Vernon. It's nearly 100 miles East of where I live.

P.S. I can't speak for the more rural areas on your list, but your race and religion won't cause any problems in St. Louis County.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Did you make a 3 year commitment to working at a rural site?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I haven't made..but will have to make a 3 yr commitment as per DOS regulations

Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someboyelse View Post
Well, none of those areas are really in "St. Louis", they more somewhat nearby and not really in daily driving range for the areas you are asking about.

Washington is a pretty long drive. I'd say ~1 hour to maybe 1 hour 30 minutes to get home to from Wash U. Washington itself is fairly nice though.

Farmington is further, but about the same drive time.

Mt. Vernon could take 2 hours to get home.

Popular Bluff is over 125 miles from the city. ~3 hour drive home.

If you are working in Washinton and your spouse is at Wash U., I would recommend Eureka, Ellisville, Wildwood, Ballwin, Chesterfield, and possibly Fenton. All are good areas that are roughly mid-way on the drives (so 30 - 45 minutes for each of you).

I don't know enough about IL to comment on mid-way points to Mt. Vernon. It's nearly 100 miles East of where I live.

P.S. I can't speak for the more rural areas on your list, but your race and religion won't cause any problems in St. Louis County.
Thanks,
The employer also told me about town called Wildwood in between Washington and St. Louis

Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM

Shift work or Monday-Friday?

Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Thanks,
The employer also told me about town called Wildwood in between Washington and St. Louis
Wildwood truly is gorgeous and the Rockwood school district is one of the best. I don't think you or your family will have any difficulty assimilating in St. Louis County or City

Best of luck to you all!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Shift work or Monday-Friday?
Mon- Fri regular work, at least one weekend o call from Friday evening to monday morning and 7 days of week day overnight calls.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:10 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Mon- Fri regular work, at least one weekend o call from Friday evening to monday morning and 7 days of week day overnight calls.
West St. Louis County, including Wildwood, Chesterfield, Ballwin, etc. seems to have a fairly large and growing presence of non-white professionals and generally good schools so I think that's your best bet.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
As others have suggested, if you select Washington, then West County (Wildwood, Chesterfield, Ellisville, Ballwin, etc.) would makes sense. You and your wife would have similar commute times, roughly 30-45 minutes. I have driven the stretch of MO-100 from Interstate 44 to Wildwood a few times. It's not great for commuting, but it's doable for your situation. From Washington to Interstate 44, MO-100 is 4 lanes so that stretch is much better. 109 from Eureka to Chesterfield is a windy 2 laner and is not ideal for commuting, but again it's doable.

Another option would be to have two residences. You could rent a 1 bedroom apartment near your place of work, and find a house closer to Wash U so that your wife wouldn't have to drive as far. That might give you a little more flexibility.

I'm not sure what areas that HHS has designated as underserved communities, but you might also want to look for opportunities in and around Troy, MO and Warrenton, MO. From Chesterfield you could reverse commute to those ares rather easily. Just an idea that might be worth looking in to.

If you select Mt. Vernon, then the O'Fallon/Shiloh area would make sense. You probably wouldn't want to live any further east, except for maybe Mascoutah. There is a large military presence in that area because of Scott AFB. Taxes are generally higher in St. Clair County, and the state of Illinois is flat broke. Housing is cheaper on the IL side, partly because of the insane property taxes. I've also heard that a lot of doctors prefer not to practice in IL side, something to do with malpractice laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis