Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to St. Louis: buy a home, good schools, school district, daily commute, community solutions.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM

25 posts, read 93,392 times

Advertisements

I was born in St. Charles, raised in St. Louis County, and have lived most of my adult life in the various munies within St. Charles County. I love it. My wife and I fall more toward the left than the right and we've never been scrutinized by the people around us....that we know of. Even if they disapprove of the our lack of conservatism, they're respectful enough to not try to change us.

I think this is pretty much the case for most of the St. Louis area. With all of it's problems, it's pretty much live and let live. I don't think St. Charles area is any more conservative than the rest of the St. Louis region as a whole.

My oldest son attended the St. Charles City school district from third grade thru graduation. He's now in college and is on the Dean's List, so the education they provided couldn't have been too shabby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM

51 posts, read 63,905 times
^ I agree with you completely. I am also a right-winger and I don't get involved in the business of lefties, and they don't do it to me. It does appear that most live in pretty good harmony around here.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 80,409 times
All of the communities you’ve listed will do nicely. You may have trouble finding like minded friends, but given your price range, chances are your neighbors will be college educated and well behaved. They won’t think like you, but they will look and act like you. So don’t worry; between their good manners and your income there’s little possibility that you’ll have to encounter views different from your own.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM

37 posts, read 228,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptimonhill View Post
Hello everyone. Moving to the St. Louis area where my husband will be working in St. Charles. I'm reading prior posts and trying to get a feel for the different suburbs/areas but I'm confused. Can anyone help me?

We had our hearts set on Edwardsville, IL - seemed perfect - but have realized that the daily commute will be too much for my husband. St. Charles/St. Peters are both alternately described as wonderful and terrible and I'm not sure what to think. Brentwood, Ladue, Kirkwood, Webster, Clayton, etc. sound ideal, but I'm finding them too pricey.

Our housing budget is 250-400K and we'd like to buy a home where we can settle in for several years. We would like to live somewhere that has excellent schools, a great community, where our housing dollar would go pretty far, and where there are a lot of things to do for families. Of course safety is a no-brainer. Importantly, we are lefties and the rumors about conservative, gun-toting people in some areas scare me. I know I'll experience a bit of that wherever we live, but I would like to live among some similar-minded people, if possible. Any practical advice or feedback would really be appreciated.
I'm a gun toting, God clinging, Anti Illegal Immigrant rightie living in Wildwood.
I promise you, neither me or any of my like minded neighbors would deface any of the 100 or so bumper stickers on your Volvo or even shoot you a dirty look. If a tree fell on your house, we would probably be the first on the scene with chainsaws to help you out. We don't care how you vote or think. That's your business.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM

60 posts, read 291,793 times
Okay, I've never lived in St. Charles, but here is what I've heard from friends:
I have a friend who moved out of St. Charles because white families would leave the playground when a black family walked in, and because people she met would within five minutes tell her that they were Christian, then pause and wait for her to say she was one too. When she didn't, they didn't really want to keep talking. She moved to Kirkwood and loves it there.
On the other hand, I have friends who live in St. Charles now, and moved there from the Boston area. The are pretty liberal. They moved partly for the lower cost of living, and love their house. They have found friends and like their neighbors. Their only problem was the public school, which was not good. Now their daughter is in a Catholic school, and they love it despite not being Catholic themselves.
So while St. Charles has a reputation for being very conservative, it may vary a lot by your neighborhood and by your own willingness to be around people who may have different political leanings and social attitudes than you.
Also, schools can vary quite a bit even in the same district, so I would suggest not only getting individual test scores (try greatschools.net) but also visiting schools and meeting the principal. Make sure to ask about class size and teacher turnover, but I think a really great principal makes a big difference to a school.
Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptimonhill View Post
Hello everyone. Moving to the St. Louis area where my husband will be working in St. Charles. I'm reading prior posts and trying to get a feel for the different suburbs/areas but I'm confused. Can anyone help me?

We had our hearts set on Edwardsville, IL - seemed perfect - but have realized that the daily commute will be too much for my husband. St. Charles/St. Peters are both alternately described as wonderful and terrible and I'm not sure what to think. Brentwood, Ladue, Kirkwood, Webster, Clayton, etc. sound ideal, but I'm finding them too pricey.

Our housing budget is 250-400K and we'd like to buy a home where we can settle in for several years. We would like to live somewhere that has excellent schools, a great community, where our housing dollar would go pretty far, and where there are a lot of things to do for families. Of course safety is a no-brainer. Importantly, we are lefties and the rumors about conservative, gun-toting people in some areas scare me. I know I'll experience a bit of that wherever we live, but I would like to live among some similar-minded people, if possible. Any practical advice or feedback would really be appreciated.
I too am a conservative, gun-toting (not really), Bible-thumping rightie living in the heart of conservative west county....and I'm QUITE sure you'd do fine here or in St. Chuck. I see Obama stickers all the time out here *shakes head* and I'm sure the worst you'd get is a chuckle from most people with your "arms are for hugging sticker" slapped down on your Saab.

However, if you're insistent on living in a neighborhood where you'll see a sea of "change '08" yardsigns...Webster Groves, U-City, and Clayton would all be good bets. BUT...you've got a longer commute.

My advice: forget the politics and just find a nice neighborhoood for your family where you'll have nice schools and a manageable commute. If you choose St. Chuck or West County...you won't regret it (despite your political 'uniqueness').

Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 PM

40 posts, read 144,840 times
Default Signage

I'm living in an older subdivision in Chesterfield serviced by Parkway Central. Probably 30-50 homes in our neighborhood, most from $300-600k, all on one acre lots and heavily wooded. I've not seen a single political sign for any candidate. Just a lot of folks walking their dogs and waving/talking to each other and working in their gardens. Easy commute. against traffic and against the sun's glare, to St. Charles. Chesterfield probably has less population density than St. Charles, maybe that exlpains the relative lack of traffic tie ups.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,017 times
Not sure if this thread is too old and if the OP already moved, but a really convenient area to live if you are going to work in St Charles and don't want to fight the 70 rush is Maryland Heights or Olivette. All you do is get on the Page Extension (364) and you are taken straight into the heart of St Charles. There's hardly any traffic coming east or west.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:42 PM

18 posts, read 57,209 times
Why do so many people think conservatives are gut toting hill-billies? Just because you have the political view that we have the right to bear arms doesn't mean you are going to abuse that right for aggression...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis