Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we're going a cross country move soon that will take us across St. Louis around the morning rush hour (according to plan anyway). We will be coming in on I-70 East and heading south on 55. It looks like 64 and 275 will connect them. Are they terrible at rush hour? I'll be driving a big moving van, wife towing a small trailer.

Thanks in advance. Looked at alternative routes that drop south of SL a little further west, but it looks like they add a bunch of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 07:11 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
I think you mean 270? Take 270. 64 is terrible during the morning rush.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:13 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
270 has some of the worst rush hour traffic in St. Louis and 64 has been lighter since covid. However 70 or 64 (I'd probably do 64 as I find it easier to navigate) to 270 south to 55 is really your only way around. Our rush hour is short here though (like about 8-9) and really not bad at all compared to other metros this size. If you offset your time just a little, you will likely miss the worst of it. 55 South is a really pretty drive.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I think you mean 270? Take 270. 64 is terrible during the morning rush.
Oops, you are correct (270). Thanks for the input.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
270 has some of the worst rush hour traffic in St. Louis and 64 has been lighter since covid. However 70 or 64 (I'd probably do 64 as I find it easier to navigate) to 270 south to 55 is really your only way around. Our rush hour is short here though (like about 8-9) and really not bad at all compared to other metros this size. If you offset your time just a little, you will likely miss the worst of it. 55 South is a really pretty drive.
Thanks, and glad to hear rush hour isn't that long. If we can stand it, we'll drive through the 2nd night long after rush hour. But I doubt we'll be up for that long a drive. We're moving from Idaho to East Tennessee, 2 days of slightly less than 900 miles will put us shy of St. Louis. Otherwise will do as you suggest. We should be able to be through before 8 if everything goes according to plan.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:20 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Thanks, and glad to hear rush hour isn't that long. If we can stand it, we'll drive through the 2nd night long after rush hour. But I doubt we'll be up for that long a drive. We're moving from Idaho to East Tennessee, 2 days of slightly less than 900 miles will put us shy of St. Louis. Otherwise will do as you suggest. We should be able to be through before 8 if everything goes according to plan.
What prompted this decision? I thought you loved it up there.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What prompted this decision? I thought you loved it up there.
I do, it's a tough decision. A number of factors. First I'm an avid motorcyclist-and my driveway is covered in ice from Thanksgiving until March most years. The area is beautiful...but sadly many summers the area is covered in wildfire smoke, making any kind of outdoor activities...not much fun, to say nothing of the risk of losing everything. Our housing prices have gone nuts, we were able to sell our home here and significantly supplement our retirement investment income. Summers in TN (well, at least this summer) is significantly cooler than Idaho as well (though I don't know how we'll tolerate the humidity). And finally, no state income tax in TN. All of these reasons played into it. We found a place within a National Forest-looks like Idaho, but with broadleaf trees. And politically both states are similar. "Patron state of shootin' stuff" and all.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I do, it's a tough decision. A number of factors. First I'm an avid motorcyclist-and my driveway is covered in ice from Thanksgiving until March most years. The area is beautiful...but sadly many summers the area is covered in wildfire smoke, making any kind of outdoor activities...not much fun, to say nothing of the risk of losing everything. Our housing prices have gone nuts, we were able to sell our home here and significantly supplement our retirement investment income. Summers in TN (well, at least this summer) is significantly cooler than Idaho as well (though I don't know how we'll tolerate the humidity). And finally, no state income tax in TN. All of these reasons played into it. We found a place within a National Forest-looks like Idaho, but with broadleaf trees. And politically both states are similar. "Patron state of shootin' stuff" and all.
Well, I can well understand about the fires. The fires have ruined life quality in much of the west for months nearly every year now. But cooler than northern Idaho? There may well be days like that, but overall, season-long, I'd have trouble believing Tennessee is as cool, much less nearly as comfortable as northern Idaho.

I'm amazed at the numbers of people moving to Tennessee these days. I know Bay Area people who have as well. I would think housing prices are on their way up fast there.

I've been here lots longer than I ever thought I would be due to a strange and unforeseen set of circumstances. For the foreseeable future, my living standard would go down if I moved.

Anyway, best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: