Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times

Advertisements

I've known a few inter-racial couples, both in the city itself and in the suburbs and they were fine.

I know the couple in St. Charles were kind of an oddity, and as such would complain of the occasional awkward stares - this was more noticeable with the children, who looked pretty black at the store with their blond mother - but they were good people and as such were respected members of the community and wouldn't consider leaving. St. Charles is one of the most conservative areas of St. Louis, and tends to have a lot of folks who fled North County when it, as they say in hushed tones, "got a little too dark for their taste," so if they were fine there, I think you could be fine just about anywhere in St. Louis.

I wouldn't, however, suggest most of South County or Jefferson County. If you look at the demographic data, there are no black people in many of those suburbs - I mean none - and it isn't an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Aviator View Post
I moved to the city 5 years ago having previously lived in the suburbs of Chicago. The quality of life in the CWE is outstanding and it has been a good choice for me. I originally thought that I would just live here for a few years, have my fun, and then move on to the suburbs somewhere else. Now I can't really imagine going back to the suburban lifestyle. The thought of having to get in the car every time I run an errand seems arduous. I think it is difficult for many people to change their lifestyle and step out of their comfort zone, and with so many people accustomed to a suburban lifestyle, momentum carries them to a familiar environment. In many cities, the trend toward urban living has been strong for a long time. It seems to be less developed in St. Louis, but I think that will change over time, assuming the suburbs don't kill us first.
St. Louis has a one step forward two steps back, too many chiefs not enough Indians approach to City Management. In a word, it is abysmal. And God forbid creative types were recruited to help.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:58 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Whoever was brought in to design city-museum should be brought in to redesign downtown and midtown

Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Default City Living

I just moved into the City, from the County, and feel like I have to justify it to people. There is a stigma attached to living in the city, especially "state streets", one of which I live on. I can honestly say, I am not fearful when I'm outside my apartment, day or night, and aside from some occassionally noise at night (which I had in the County, too), I don't have any issues.

I work downtown, about 5 or so miles from where I live. I can fill up my gas tank and it will last me almost 2 full weeks, which is a rarity. I got a pretty awesome 2 bedroom apartment for dirt cheap, and it's close to a park, so I don't care that I don't have yard. Everyone wants the idyllic suburban life, with no crime....brand new houses slapped up wherever they'll fit, neighborhoods with no character or history. Been there, done that, and so far I prefer the city.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM

147 posts, read 383,961 times
My wife and I moved to Central County from south city last year before our daughter was born and frankly, I'm ready to move BACK to the city. Our neighborhood is lovely, our house is great, but we miss city living.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 49,852 times
Default City living

I want to live in the city. I will be moving to St Louis the end of January 09 and looking for an apartment/loft/condo in the $600-$850 range. One caveat is covered parking or a garage. Am I dreaming?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I wouldn't, however, suggest most of South County or Jefferson County. If you look at the demographic data, there are no black people in many of those suburbs - I mean none - and it isn't an accident.
I thank you all for the replies.

I actually wanted to comment on your quote, It's pretty funny to me the diffrences between St. Louis and a majority of the rest of the state of Missouri. I had a friend that was from a town named East Prairie down in the southern part of the state, Mississippi County I believe, Anyways.. He once took me to his parents house and it was the first time I'd ever been to Missouri and it was pretty much how you describe South and Jefferson...

Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglingirl View Post
I want to live in the city. I will be moving to St Louis the end of January 09 and looking for an apartment/loft/condo in the $600-$850 range. One caveat is covered parking or a garage. Am I dreaming?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Central West End may be doable. There are a few apartment buildings in that area. It's more of a college/young people are I believe. For that price you may be able to get into an apartment Downtown or near Downtown.

Craigslist may have some options.

Do you want to live Downtown?

Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 PM

18 posts, read 49,852 times
Default Downtown

Yes, I would like to live in the CWE. I will be working at the airport and everything I've read about this area sounds wonderful.

Are there any negatives?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:46 AM

287 posts, read 1,087,104 times
I would be careful about which areas in the CWE you look for a place. I'm not as well versed about that part of town, so hopefully someone else here can point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis