Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times

Advertisements

Good chance I'll be transferred in the near future, and would be working in Roxana. I'm single late 30's professional and am looking for a townhouse/ condo in the city. Any area to recommend? I like having restaurants and some pubs nearby. Recently lived near downtown Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,264 times
Had a friend in college from there, so I visited a few times (granted, this was 10 years ago). Roxana is dominated by the Shell oil refinery, and I think is small in area. It struck me as a suburb of Alton, like Bethalto and Wood River. I think you'd enjoy Alton. The largest city in the area, and plenty of bars/restaurants, including an area legend (and my favorite) Fast Eddie's. I'm not a local though; maybe someone else here can give you specific advice?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,264 times
Just re-read that you said "in the city." Did you mean St. Louis city?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
To keep your commute as relatively short as possible, look downtown (the closer to Washington and Tucker the more there will be nearby), Soulard or Benton Park and even Lafayette Square. The farther west you go, the worse your commute will be.

If you have more questions, let us know.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks, I'll start nosing through some real estate stuff. The job will be at the refinery, but I dont necessarily want to live by it. More because the closer you are to a plant the more frequently you get called out after hours.

I would prefer to be in or near the city. I've happily lived in downtown Houston and Chicago in the past.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
What neighborhood in Chicago did you live in? What did you like about it? What did you not? I live in Chicago now, so if I know what you liked about your neighborhood there, I'd probably be able to better help you find a comparable St. Louis neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Thanks, I'll start nosing through some real estate stuff. The job will be at the refinery, but I dont necessarily want to live by it. More because the closer you are to a plant the more frequently you get called out after hours.

I would prefer to be in or near the city. I've happily lived in downtown Houston and Chicago in the past.
If you are more of a city person, Roxana will probably not be your thing. It is a very small community. You will probably want to commute from St. Louis. I would suggest Downtown, Soulard, or the Central West End neighborhoods. They are all within probably a 30-45 minute drive to Roxana.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What neighborhood in Chicago did you live in? What did you like about it? What did you not? I live in Chicago now, so if I know what you liked about your neighborhood there, I'd probably be able to better help you find a comparable St. Louis neighborhood.
In the late 90s I lived in Bucktown/Wicker Park a block east of North/Damen. Then I moved into the near South side across from Soldier field. Enjoyed both areas...walkability and plenty of places to eat/drink.

Unfortunately I just found out the company went in a different direction and is moving me to Houston instead. Thanks for everyones help nonetheless.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,443 times
My step son is the investment rep at the Shell Oil Credit Union there in Woodriver. If I were you I might look at Edwardsville where SIU Edwardsville campus is located. Many things for a single person to do, Small town feel, reasonable nice housing, and close enough to St. Louis to still be considered in the metro area. You certainly wouldn't have to fight traffic to get to and back from work either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis