Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times

Advertisements

The only part of St. Louis that you really want to avoid is North City. The rest has sporadic pockets that aren't as good as other areas. South St. Louis has some decent locations, but the best "young" professionals areas are probably the CWE (central west end) , Washington Ave, and Soulard. The CWE is pretty chill, but i think the commute would be worse to Jefferson Barracks, Soulard would give you the best commute with a straight shot down I-55. Washington Ave. isn't a bad spot either, lots of lofts, sushi bars, and young professionals and probably the most Urban environment downtown I can think of. Soulard is pretty darn city too, but it doesn't give you that "high rise, downtown, metropolis feeling" instead, expect a Southern, maybe even New Orleans type feel...especially during Mardi Gras. When ya moving up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:56 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromAL View Post
I have a heard that the South and West parts of St. Louis proper are the better areas to live in, the West being the best area.
The VA at Jefferson Barracks is actually in the county, as a poster above mentioned. In other words, it's not in the city. And when you heard that the west is one of the best places to live, they were referring to suburbia - west St Louis County. And that's totally subjective. It's the best place to live if you like suburbia and want a nice, albeit -mostly- cookie cutter cul-de-sac area. In the city, it's in my opinion that you want to avoid north city. The only place I'd live north of I-64 (or "40" as everyone around here calls it) is downtown or in the Central West End. The only neighborhoods I would avoid in south St Louis City is Gravois Park & Dutchtown. I know people who live in Dutchtown that would tell you to avoid it too, but there are some that live there that would probably tout it. I'd avoid it, period. The last thing you want to do is NOT do your research and move directly in to a random city neighborhood and then hate the city because the neighborhood is a rough one. I met a woman who moved herself and her 12 year old son in to Dutchtown without doing any research and sent her kids to the public schools. He was beat up, pushed down stairs, and stabbed with a pencil in the 3 months he went to school there. Her quote to me was "I had no idea the city was like this." Of course being a city resident at the time I took exception to that and said "The city isn't like this, this neighborhood is like this."

So some may disagree, but again I give this advice - stay south of I-64, and only go north if you live downtown or the Central West End - and south of 64, avoid Gravois Park & Dutchtown.

Oh, and if you see an address for a place on Craigslist or something, you can type the address in to Yahoo! Maps and it actually color codes all of the city neighborhoods. So you can map it on Yahoo and it will tell you what neighborhood it's in.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:19 AM

124 posts, read 236,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
The only part of St. Louis that you really want to avoid is North City. The rest has sporadic pockets that aren't as good as other areas. South St. Louis has some decent locations, but the best "young" professionals areas are probably the CWE (central west end) , Washington Ave, and Soulard. The CWE is pretty chill, but i think the commute would be worse to Jefferson Barracks, Soulard would give you the best commute with a straight shot down I-55. Washington Ave. isn't a bad spot either, lots of lofts, sushi bars, and young professionals and probably the most Urban environment downtown I can think of. Soulard is pretty darn city too, but it doesn't give you that "high rise, downtown, metropolis feeling" instead, expect a Southern, maybe even New Orleans type feel...especially during Mardi Gras. When ya moving up?

If all goes well, the beginning of August!

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. I looooove Mardi Gras! I go to "The NO" several times a year.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 AM

124 posts, read 236,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
The VA at Jefferson Barracks is actually in the county, as a poster above mentioned. In other words, it's not in the city. And when you heard that the west is one of the best places to live, they were referring to suburbia - west St Louis County. And that's totally subjective. It's the best place to live if you like suburbia and want a nice, albeit -mostly- cookie cutter cul-de-sac area. In the city, it's in my opinion that you want to avoid north city. The only place I'd live north of I-64 (or "40" as everyone around here calls it) is downtown or in the Central West End. The only neighborhoods I would avoid in south St Louis City is Gravois Park & Dutchtown. I know people who live in Dutchtown that would tell you to avoid it too, but there are some that live there that would probably tout it. I'd avoid it, period. The last thing you want to do is NOT do your research and move directly in to a random city neighborhood and then hate the city because the neighborhood is a rough one. I met a woman who moved herself and her 12 year old son in to Dutchtown without doing any research and sent her kids to the public schools. He was beat up, pushed down stairs, and stabbed with a pencil in the 3 months he went to school there. Her quote to me was "I had no idea the city was like this." Of course being a city resident at the time I took exception to that and said "The city isn't like this, this neighborhood is like this."

So some may disagree, but again I give this advice - stay south of I-64, and only go north if you live downtown or the Central West End - and south of 64, avoid Gravois Park & Dutchtown.

Oh, and if you see an address for a place on Craigslist or something, you can type the address in to Yahoo! Maps and it actually color codes all of the city neighborhoods. So you can map it on Yahoo and it will tell you what neighborhood it's in.
Thanks! This was sooo helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis