Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM

787 posts, read 1,415,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
But I grew up 70 miles from NYC and the Metro went that far north. The Saint Louis Metro doesn't even make it 20 miles (give or take) outside the city.

You post exemplifies the prejudices of how city dwellers think they are so much better than those that live in Suburbia. I could have lived in the city. I choose not to since I like boating. For a city of two major rivers, the Saint Louis River Front is a disgrace, and recreational boating on the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers is not exactly a safe activity (unless you are above Alton)

I'm currently in OC - The Burbs of LA - This "suburban area" offers so much more than what the City of Saint Louis could even attempt to offer (although the Orange County Zoo is pretty lame).

Uh-huh. You can have the OC Symphony. It's only a regional orchestra (a few full timers plus part timers/ community members to fill out the sections). I'll keep the SLSO (a world class ensemble/destination level ensemble).

The LA Phil is up there w/ the SLSO. Wouldn't want to have to drive 40 miles every week to attend a concert, though.

Keep the OC Zoo, too. Isn't that where Dr. Laura Schlessinger lives?

Keep your overpriced real estate. Yes, the prices are coming down from being preposterous to merely ridiculous.

Keep your insane traffic. I've driven in the LA region enough to know I don't want to spend half my life in a car in order to get where I want to go.

Really, I hope you move back to OC Uber Suburbia and stop complaining about STL. I love STL city and would not trade it for a place that elects people like "B1 Bob" Dornan and Dana Rohrabacher to represent them.

You can beeeeyotch about STL city in the St. Louis City Data Forum all you want. You aren't going to sway the folks who truly appreciate STL city for all of its amenities. Most of chose to be here and we're going to defend the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Go to any other cities forum here on city data and see how long before you come across a negative post talking about how much they hate city A. It doesn't matter if it's Des Moines or LA or NYC or Boise. They might have different complaints but there are still reasons people loathe all sorts of places.

I will say this though...if you want an opinion about St. Louis, or any city for that matter, don't just take one persons opinion as gospel. I'd say the overwhelming opinion on here, and other forums I frequent, is that St. Louis is a great place that is getting better everyday, from both natives and transplants alike.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 AM

26 posts, read 78,286 times
"But I have never seen the outright feeling of superiority the residents of St. Louis city feel toward their suburban neighbors."

My point is that ktCakes and most other posters here are not showing "disdain" or a "feeling of superiority" toward the suburbs, so I don't know why you keep getting defensive and bringing up your feelings on this issue.

And for what it is worth, I haven't experienced anything like what you are talking about (since I have lived here - only about a year). About half the people I work with live in the suburbs and half live in the city. I have never heard a derogatory comment about the suburbs from the city dwellers. I occasionally hear derogatory remarks about certain parts of the city or city politics from those who live outside the city limits. But I never hear anything resembling a "feeling of superiority" - generally it is understood that the there are advantages and disadvantages to living in the city, living in the inner suburbs, or living past 270.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
I think Saint Louis is absolutely beautiful looking in the summer, and absoultely disgusting looking in the winter. Funny how brick buildings can look so much different depending on whether trees are in bloom or not.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 AM

325 posts, read 851,253 times
I wouldn't call it "superiority" but for me, it's defensiveness. I get very defensive when I hear people from the county who only get off the highway long enough to slip into the ballgame/zoo/St. Patrick's Day parade (not saying YOU DP) and go on to make broad pronouncement about the danger/dirtiness/danger/danger of life in the city and why people should never raise their children there. These people know nothing about life in the city and so yes, I will give them a rundown of their ignorance.

There is a definite city-county thing here, but it comes from both sides. The county thinks they can somehow exist without the city and when we are at the state and county voters whims b/c of the way the city's charter was set up years and years ago, it can be very frustrating when we want to move ahead with something but have to get everyone else's approval first. Such as mass transit. The county votes over and over again to kill mass transit. We, in the city pass it, but it still gets axed b/c the county says no. This is just one example of many ways this adversarial relationship has been set up.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,415,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktCakes View Post
I wouldn't call it "superiority" but for me, it's defensiveness. I get very defensive when I hear people from the county who only get off the highway long enough to slip into the ballgame/zoo/St. Patrick's Day parade (not saying YOU DP) and go on to make broad pronouncement about the danger/dirtiness/danger/danger of life in the city and why people should never raise their children there. These people know nothing about life in the city and so yes, I will give them a rundown of their ignorance.

There is a definite city-county thing here, but it comes from both sides. The county thinks they can somehow exist without the city and when we are at the state and county voters whims b/c of the way the city's charter was set up years and years ago, it can be very frustrating when we want to move ahead with something but have to get everyone else's approval first. Such as mass transit. The county votes over and over again to kill mass transit. We, in the city pass it, but it still gets axed b/c the county says no. This is just one example of many ways this adversarial relationship has been set up.

Just to let ya know, I've been voting in favor of mass transit/Metrolink every time there's been a vote since I've lived here (1991). I was one of the few people in St. Charles County to vote YES when Metrolink was up for a vote in 1995 or 1996, whenever it was.

But you know I'm a city girl stuck in the county for just a little while longer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis