Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM

28 posts, read 48,319 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone from the northeast- NY, MA, PA, etc. Moved to stl recently or in the past year.

How do you like it?

Do you regret moving there?

Do you use mass transit or is having a car better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM

26 posts, read 78,255 times
I grew up in New England. I moved to Saint Louis city last year and have no regrets.

I found that this is an extremely car-centered city. Everyone drives everywhere and mass transit isn't particularly well-supported. This is one of the things I don't like about the city.
If you own a car and live in the city or the inner suburbs, however, it is very easy to drive just about anywhere in 20 minutes or less. Traffic isn't really a problem relative to most other cities I have lived in or visited.

Check metrostlouis.org for more information on mass transit. The metrolink is reliable. It just doesn't reach into many parts of the city/county.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
^
Sounds about right. Why everyone is not on board with supporting mass transit blows my mind. However, you can be carless if you live and work in the right areas.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks.

Did you have a job when you moved down or did you find one after you moved?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks.

Did you have a job when you moved down or did you find one after you moved?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
It really depends what you're looking for. If you are die for the hustle and bustle of the fast paced central business districts of the larger northeastern cities than you may be upset with what you find here.
St. louis is a pretty fun town for singles. Be sure to live in the cental corridor.
St. Louis is a GREAT place for families. Lots of free stuff to do. Great schools in the region
Ability to live a suburban or urban lifestyle

How old are you? Are you married/familyl/single? What are you looking for?
These will help us determine what part of StL is right for you.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 AM

24 posts, read 58,935 times
I'm from STL area originally but I recently moved back after seven years in NYC. It took me 8 months to find a part-time job...then I ended up getting 3 part-time jobs in a row within a one month time span.

It took 12 solid months to find my current brand new full-time steady job with all the benefits/(near) salary/stability that I had in NYC.

I don't think I would advise moving down here with no job lined up...I know a lot of peers who are college grads, grad school grads, newly sworn in lawyers, etc who cannot find work.

I'm fairly certain you would want a car here as well.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:30 AM

6 posts, read 4,433 times
Thumbs down Think Long and Hard Before Moving To St. Louis

Saina,

I'm from Lowell, MA and I spent three God-awful years in St. Louis. I would strongly recommend that you spend a week in St. Louis first before committing to a move. Take a serious analysis of your surroundings. It's quite a downward shift from the Northeast in terms of a cultural and intellectual standpoint. A lot of redneck ("hoosier") pride, if you will. I only came here for a contract job and, because I don't like baseball, church, fishing or overeating, I never quite fit in. The slow pace can really test one's patience. And while everyone likes to harp on the "low cost of living," remember that "you get what you pay for."

Trust me, you'll want to check it out first before moving. And the locals are correct - don't even think of coming here without employment. The nepotism level is ridiculous, bordering on inbreeding.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Gotta love the people who sign up, make a couple posts bashing St. Louis and never post again. Can we get a smurf check?

For the record, I don't like baseball, church, fishing, or overeating and I think St. Louis is an awesome city. Stay in the city and inner burbs and you will not see much of the "hoosier" element that Rektor speaks of.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM

26 posts, read 78,255 times
To follow up on the previous poster's remarks, I recommend checking out different areas of the city and surrounding area.

In my experience, you don't have to go very far outside the city to find a prevalence of what he calls a "downward shift from the Northeast in terms of a cultural and intellectual standpoint." However, where I currently live I don't find that to be true at all of my neighbors and people I work with. Maybe my experience is unusual, but I've been quite happy with my situation overall.

I agree regarding the "slower pace." It was a bit of an adjustment but, really, a minor one. People everywhere are much more alike than different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis