Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So it is a conspiracy then that the automotive press almost always deems the Evo to be superior In handling to the STi?

Of course it is...
It has a lot less to do with the AWD system than the chassis tuning. My car has the exact same AWD system as the Evo 9 but it understeers every bit as much as my WRX did because it has a different chassis tune than the Evo did/does. But when it comes down to limited-grip competition where AWD matters more than street-friendly chassis tuning, Subaru is the preferred tool for the task. "That doesn't mean anything" to you, but it does to those who put their money down on a competition vehicle.

The least-understeering and one of the best overall handling vehicles I ever owned was a base Mazda Protege. Must have been its superior AWD system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:07 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I have an 08 STI it has had some strange issues, the Power Steering pump went out at 50k the reverse light switch stopped working. It was mounted at the very top of the transmission. I called the dealer they said it as a $15 part but labor would be 800 book price they drop the trans axle. He also let me know they can just drop the trans-axle enough to get some tools in there to replace it still wanting to charge the book price. I did both repairs my self I have never heard of a PS pump go out that quick. My Toyota pickup has had a PS leak for years when it starts moaning I just add a little fluid and it's happy again. Sure does well in snow I have plowed my way out of snow piled up to my front window just climbs right out with the AWD.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It has a lot less to do with the AWD system than the chassis tuning. My car has the exact same AWD system as the Evo 9 but it understeers every bit as much as my WRX did because it has a different chassis tune than the Evo did/does. But when it comes down to limited-grip competition where AWD matters more than street-friendly chassis tuning, Subaru is the preferred tool for the task. "That doesn't mean anything" to you, but it does to those who put their money down on a competition vehicle.
Your car is not an Evo 9. If you understood that instead of just boasting about what components are in it you wouldn't be saying something so silly. Cars are defined by all their parts working together. If I put a viper engine in a ram pickup it doesn't turn the ram in to a viper and I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't as fast as one. (Goody, it's been done) "Oh well that's just because of the viper body" Well no kidding. Just because your Ralliart isn't as good as an Evo even though it has some Evo components doesn't mean it is because of some completely unrelated and trivial cause. That cause is Mitsubishi's ability to develop a better Awd vehicle. The ralliart is a cheaper downmarket car. Chassis tuning is just important and part of making a superior AWD car and to dismiss it so trite means you don't know cars.

Quote:
The least-understeering and one of the best overall handling vehicles I ever owned was a base Mazda Protege. Must have been its superior AWD system.
Is that supposed to be funny? Who cares? Did I make a claim that the Evo is the least under steering vehicle made? Have you owned an evo? Has anyone professionally evaluated your claim? One of the knocks against AWD cars IN GENERAL is that they TEND TO push.

stop digging.

Last edited by Tourian; 06-01-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I don't like sideways motors like EVO engine should be front to back.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Yeah but they kick hiney when it comes to crash protection along with Volvo. Status Report ...
With so many numb nuts texting as they merrily drive along these ratings assume significant importance.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Your car is not an Evo 9. If you understood that instead of just boasting about what components are in it you wouldn't be saying something so silly. Cars are defined by all their parts working together.
I do understand. And see? Now you're starting to understand too per the bolded portion above.

And it wasn't a "boast," it was a relevant fact. As you'll recall from previous conversations, I don't care enough for my car to "boast" about it. In fact you seem to have more of a hardon for my car than I do.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't like sideways motors like EVO engine should be front to back.
But it works. There's no denying that. And that's my point. People "like" Subarus just because they are popular. The radar gun, the skid pad and the stop watch like the Mitsubishi Evo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I do understand. And see? Now you're starting to understand too per the bolded portion above.

And it wasn't a "boast," it was a relevant fact. As you'll recall from previous conversations, I don't care enough for my car to "boast" about it. In fact you seem to have more of a hardon for my car than I do.
I have made no mention of your vehicle. You brought it into this conversation. Putting Evo 9 differentials in a Lancer made the Ralliart which is merely a better Lancer, it did not turn it in to an Evo. Just like spending nearly half a million on a Juke R doesn't mean it is better then a 110K GT-R.

A critical piece of the Evo's AWD system IS ITS CHASSIS. You can not "have" it on another vehicle, just by swapping diffs.

This is why it is silly to try to sum up the Evo just by talking about another vehicle that shares Evo parts, but is not an Evo. It is also silly to talk abut Proteges or anything else, when it makes no sense or has no bearing on the thread topic.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I have made no mention of your vehicle. You brought it into this conversation.
That's why I said "from previous conversations." Pay attention. You made a vigorous defense of my car in a previous thread when I vowed this would be my last Mitsubishi unless they seriously step up their game.

Quote:
Putting Evo 9 differentials in a Lancer made the Ralliart which is merely a better Lancer, it did not turn it in to an Evo. Just like spending nearly half a million on a Juke R doesn't mean it is better then a 110K GT-R.

A critical piece of the Evo's AWD system IS ITS CHASSIS. You can not "have" it on another vehicle, just by swapping diffs.

This is why it is silly to try to sum up the Evo just by talking about another vehicle that shares Evo parts, but is not an Evo. It is also silly to talk abut Proteges or anything else, when it makes no sense or has no bearing on the thread topic.
It's funny how much your argument makes my point for me even when you believe you're arguing against it. A chassis is NOT part of an AWD system, and when you put the same AWD system in essentially the same chassis but with a different suspension tune and geometry, surprise, you get different results. Point being: the Evo's handling precision owes more to its chassis/suspension tune than the AWD system. Which is not to say the AWD system is deficient or faulty in any way; it does what it's designed to do and it does it well. The Evo is a potent tarmac machine. But when it comes down to limited-grip competition where AWD matters more than street-friendly chassis tuning, Subaru is the preferred tool for the task.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Judging a car brand based on an used car sounds like a good idea.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
So it is a conspiracy then that the automotive press almost always deems the Evo to be superior In handling to the STi?

Of course it is...

no conspiracy. Though competitors they are built with slightly different intentions. The EVO has always been the more raw car with stiffer suspension and not quite as comfortable to deal with. The STi has always been heralded as the better daily driver since it's suspension is a little more forgiving. That's where the slightly better handling comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru