Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Subaru owner, which are you?
Democrat (Liberal/Progressive) 87 43.28%
Republican (Conservative/Libertarian/Tea Party) 54 26.87%
Independent (Non-Partisan) 52 25.87%
Non-Political (Non-Voter) 8 3.98%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times

Advertisements

Suburu owners are the Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons of the automotive culture, always proselytizing. I'm surprised they don't go door to door dressed in white shirts with dark ties.

"Don't answer the door, it's those Suburu people."

Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well here Subaru owners are pegged as "bird people". The have life lists, backpack binoculars, tuck their neutral color pant legs into dark socks, and so on.
Where is "here"?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I have heard this stereotype bandied about for years but is it true?

Do Subaru owners really tend to be "left-wing, tree-hugging, granola-crunching liberals"?

Here in Alaska, I routinely see the "stereotypical" stickers (i,.e. - Coexist, Obama/Biden, the "Darwin fish", Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund, and various other liberal/progressive and pro-environment bumper stickers, etc.) but I also see Subarus bearing vanity plates for retired veterans as well as NRA and various military association stickers.

So, to all you Subaru owners, where do you stand and what are your observations?
Drove a new Forester around Fairbanks back in 2009, and some of my coworkers teased me to no end with: "drive a lesbaru, eh?" I would respond with, "I drive a lesbaru, but I am straight and lean right."

Other than that, most Subaru drivers I have seen around here lean left, but lost of them lean "hippy." Lots of these at University West area, and UAF.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM

471 posts, read 978,031 times
Subaru is no more eco-friendly than any other car company, they just used great marketing to niche-market to the eco crowd. They used to advertise to the Crocodile Dundee types and apparently decided to market to the eco bunch, even though the vehicles and the boxer engine/all wheel drive hasn't changed much for many years....

Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,052,034 times
I would never buy a Subaru. I hate their phony insipid and hackneyed leftist ad campaigns and instantly turn them off whenever they appear. Oh golly gee if I buy their dopey sedan I am an enlightened and progressive happy-go-lucky eco-person making the planet safe for babies and puppies. What a s-load of trash.

And while we're at it, what in God's name is a partial zero-emission vehicle? You can't have partial zero. It's either zero or non-zero.

Subaru ads now irritate me more than Geico ads. But still do not reach the levels of red-hot irritation experienced with the impossibly lowbrow Brad Benson Hyundai ads.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,909,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm cofused, I thought it was lesbians who drove Subarus?
That was a target of Subaru in the 80s and early 90s. However, with their 4WD, turbos, and safety image, I think conservatives shy away because Subaru is Japanese. Therefore, it's a "liberal" brand.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I have heard this stereotype bandied about for years but is it true?

Do Subaru owners really tend to be "left-wing, tree-hugging, granola-crunching liberals"?

Here in Alaska, I routinely see the "stereotypical" stickers (i,.e. - Coexist, Obama/Biden, the "Darwin fish", Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund, and various other liberal/progressive and pro-environment bumper stickers, etc.) but I also see Subarus bearing vanity plates for retired veterans as well as NRA and various military association stickers.

So, to all you Subaru owners, where do you stand and what are your observations?
Well me and my guy are both gun-toting conservatives, so we don't follow your stereotype at all.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:11 PM

217 posts, read 411,809 times
I admit I always made Subaru jokes. It really seemed to me to be the car of the health-food-store-smug-jerk, before the Prius came along and swept them all off their feet.

Then I moved to Seattle, and my Honda freaked the F out from all the wet, slippery paved cliffs. At 110K miles, the transmission started going after a few months. Now I know why everyone here drives a Subaru, and I have one too. It has changed my driving life in this town. I didn't go so far as to get a wagon, and don't think I will ever be able to bring myself to that.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,901,433 times
Definitely a granola car. But I'd still rock one, and I'm a conservative Republican.

LMAO!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 AM

416 posts, read 871,969 times
I'm a Libertarian. Fiscal Conservative, Social Liberal.

I enjoy making good money AND copious amounts of sex/alcohol/drugs!

Anywho, I love my Subaru and it's my favorite of the brands I've owned. Out of Honda, BMW, and Subaru, I'd stick with Subaru. I LOVED my BMW... but it was about to run out of its extended warranty and maintenance plan (it was only a 2011, but I drive a lot...), and the idea of spending a crapload for upkeep didn't appeal.

Plus, with the move from California to Oregon, I wanted something that better suited the Oregonian life-style, with treks to the beach, mountains, camping, etc.

And I switched a little over a week before our freak snowstorm in February. Perfect timing. XD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru