Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 05:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

I looked at compact hatchbacks and SUVs. I wanted a vehicle with a good sized hatch-back cargo area, sterling safety structure and safety tech, great mileage, decent power, athletic handling, uber practicality, good cell-phone integration, strong reliability, plus, I didn't want to get a 2nd mortgage. I found out, there is no single car that has all that - every choice made me compromise on at least a couple of axes. I wound up going with the Subaru Forester Touring model, splurged on that.

I just got the car so still getting used to it. My daily commute is 76 miles and roughly 2.5 hours though, and it delighted me on the drive today. Lovvvvved the comfy seats, remote start and vehicle warmup thru their StarLink app on the cell phone, the Apple Carplay with voice interface thru the infotainment system, and the adaptive cruise control. Got some indications of the watchful eyes of Eyesight with some lane departure and driver focus system cautions. The bright LED headlamps with their turning feature made maneuvering in town easier at night.

Still in the honeymoon period, but so far, so good! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:04 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I looked at compact hatchbacks and SUVs. I wanted a vehicle with a good sized hatch-back cargo area, sterling safety structure and safety tech, great mileage, decent power, athletic handling, uber practicality, good cell-phone integration, strong reliability, plus, I didn't want to get a 2nd mortgage. I found out, there is no single car that has all that - every choice made me compromise on at least a couple of axes. I wound up going with the Subaru Forester Touring model, splurged on that.

I just got the car so still getting used to it. My daily commute is 76 miles and roughly 2.5 hours though, and it delighted me on the drive today. Lovvvvved the comfy seats, remote start and vehicle warmup thru their StarLink app on the cell phone, the Apple Carplay with voice interface thru the infotainment system, and the adaptive cruise control. Got some indications of the watchful eyes of Eyesight with some lane departure and driver focus system cautions. The bright LED headlamps with their turning feature made maneuvering in town easier at night.

Still in the honeymoon period, but so far, so good! :-)

Hey, congratulations is in order❗️We bought a 2015 Forester for all of the same readons you mentioned. The wife liked the looks of the RAV4 at the time until I showed her the crash test results and there was no comparison. I also like the fact that the Foresters are all built in Japan. You know their work ethic!

Also, the eyesight system is excellent and I love the interactive cruise control, it amazing how well it works.

If you have any questions, just log on the Forester forum site and you will get all of your questions answered, it’s a really good web site.

Enjoy your new ride, it’s a great vehicle❗️

Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Hey, congratulations is in order❗️We bought a 2015 Forester for all of the same readons you mentioned. The wife liked the looks of the RAV4 at the time until I showed her the crash test results and there was no comparison. I also like the fact that the Foresters are all built in Japan. You know their work ethic!

Also, the eyesight system is excellent and I love the interactive cruise control, it amazing how well it works.

If you have any questions, just log on the Forester forum site and you will get all of your questions answered, it’s a really good web site.

Thanks man! I am planning to get an account on the Forester forum ASAP :-). I was a little skeptical of the adaptive cruise control, but it is the bomb! Made driving in traffic on I-95 and Route 1 so much easier and less taxing. And especially on the way home, in winter when it's dark, and I'm tired - it's a longgg drive, and I can well imagine that all the safety gizmos could save my butt one evening.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-25-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
We drive from Virginia back to NY to visit with family every 4 months or so and I love that cruise control. What a great safety feature that it automatically slows the cars speed to maintain a safe distance between the vehicle in front of you, it’s genius!

Old 02-26-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
We drive from Virginia back to NY to visit with family every 4 months or so and I love that cruise control. What a great safety feature that it automatically slows the cars speed to maintain a safe distance between the vehicle in front of you, it’s genius!
It was very responsive in keeping pace with cars in front, despite cars moving into my lane or moving out of my lane, slowing down, speeding up. I set the following distance well back (same as I drive manually) and kept a close eye on things, but found myself relaxing a lot more than I usually can on the ride, because I didn't constantly have to make minor adjustments - the car was competent to do all that for me. This should make the long daily drives less tiresome.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:33 AM

In her natural habitat :-)

Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
In her natural habitat :-)
Beautiful pic! Where was it taken?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:

The last Forested I bought was a 2009 with a manual transmission and a 170HP motor. Had the choice of buying one with a turbo, but that year the turbo motors had a defect, so I didn't take the chance. Anyway, I gave it to my wife, but she didn't like the seats because they were causing back pain. We went to the local dealer and she sat behind the steering wheel of a 2010 RAV4 V6, and we went for a test drive. She loved the RAV4 from that moment on. She does not drive very much and is a somewhat cautious driver (does not drive fast). The RAV4 has 61,000 miles and everything is in perfect shape. Toyota stopped using the V6 on the RAV4 somewhere around 2012, but that motor is a rocket.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Beautiful pic! Where was it taken?
That's Maudslay State Park, on the western edge of Newburyport, MA. At about a square mile, it's not the biggest park, but for casual walking or biking, light hiking, cross-country skiing, etc, it's about as nice as any park I have seen :-). It's a mix of trails and carriage roads that cut through open meadows and forest, with some running along bluffs providing elevated overviews of the Merrimack River. There are also streams, marshes and little ponds, there is just about everything for northeastern habitat there, so also diverse sights and critters. Here's a couple of more shots of it.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-03-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Still more Maudslay State Park pictures - well worth the stop if you happen to be in our area....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru