Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

I pushed the Pride of Baltimore sideways into a berth with only a few feet to spare fore and aft, using a 22 foot Boston Whaler with only 150HP (2 x 75HP). Obviously the Pride used its own power to assist, but didn't have the ability to go sideways.

But, it wasn't windy, the Pride wasn't stuck in the mud at the bottom of the harbor, and a it wasn't really that hard to do, just making sure that thrust was directed in the right places. It was kind of the same thing as unsticking a class 8 truck with a Subaru. Not that big of a deal, and with help from the bigger vehicle... but cool nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
No surprise to me...

I once pulled a maxivan out of a snowy ditch with my Rabbit.

It is about traction.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 722,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That is hilarious. But lets not forget who mainly drive Subaru WRX's.... kids.
How many here are 30+yr/old and have a wrx? - NASIOC

What's your definition of kids? And whatever it is now, it WILL CHANGE

Last edited by ~HolyNinja~; 12-21-2009 at 01:07 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,999 times
I have pulled a number of cars out of snow and mud with my 2001 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke International diesel engine. My truck has 240 horsepower but the torque is amazing. I work on 50's, 60's and 70's cars and have pulled a 1969 GTO out of the ground. The thing had been sitting in a lot for who knows how many years and the rims were sunk halfway into the ground to the point where the rocker panels were just about touching the ground.

I put the truck in four wheel drive and pulled it out with a 16 foot chain that I use for strapping cars onto my trailer. I first had to dig a little under the bumper to get the chain under it and then I wrapped the chain around the chassis under the engine. I then drove the truck slowly forward to take up all of the slack. I then slowly gave throttle until it started to move. No problems doing it this way and you do not have to worry about breaking anything.

In the past I have used the nylon straps to strap cars onto my trailer but I have had two of them snap on me so now I use chains that I bought from a John Deere tractor store. I use four chains with binders for each car I put on the trailer. Overkill? Absolutely. I would rather do it this way than take any chances though. If I remember correctly, each chain has something like a 20,000 pound snap rating. I keep one chain in the back of my truck at all times and have many times helped people stuck in the snow with all types of vehicles (never tried pulling anything bigger than a Suburban as of yet).

Remember that vehicles such as the WRX are not made for pulling much and if you do use them for pulling things you also risk transmission problems, engine overheating, etc.

Last edited by Egobop; 12-21-2009 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM

16 posts, read 113,694 times
the trucks drives were probably on ice or something and all the car had to do was give it a little pull. the truck was doing most of the work.

still pretty cool

Old 12-21-2009, 12:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HolyNinja~ View Post
How many here are 30+yr/old and have a wrx? - NASIOC

What's your definition of kids? And whatever it is now, it WILL CHANGE
Wow. A small poll on one website doesnt impress me. Attend a NOPI event or even a local Subaru event and you'll see just how many kids (what I consider 18-25) drive WRX's.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
It sure isn't a "kids" car in most of Europe, and I can't say I haqve that impression here in the states either.

NASIOC is a HUGE website too, I'd keep that in mind.

That said, Imprezas, WRX or STi's are both formidable driving machines, able to shame far more exotic metal, even in their standard form.

What few problems there is with these, generally extremely reliable cars are usually easy fixes. Only big/expensive problem you might come across if you drive it hard is (and this is only relevant on the WRX) transmission failure, usually 2nd gear, and usually because you applied too much power too early.

They're great cars, and I don't see why only kids would buy them.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It sure isn't a "kids" car in most of Europe, and I can't say I haqve that impression here in the states either.

That said, Imprezas, WRX or STi's are both formidable driving machines, able to shame far more exotic metal, even in their standard form.

What few problems there is with these, generally extremely reliable cars are usually easy fixes. Only big/expensive problem you might come across if you drive it hard is (and this is only relevant on the WRX) transmission failure, usually 2nd gear, and usually because you applied too much power too early.

I still think the WRX boxer motor sounds terrible with a performance muffler ugh..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
I absolutely adore it. There was a while in 06 where it sounded completely normal, because it had equal length manifolds, but sales dropped, so they made an unequal length one again.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 722,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Wow. A small poll on one website doesnt impress me. Attend a NOPI event or even a local Subaru event and you'll see just how many kids (what I consider 18-25) drive WRX's.
Not trying to impress you. Don't need to. I am 30 and I have an '07 WRX bought brand new; i still love driving it almost 3 years later. You can or or while I . Have a good one man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It sure isn't a "kids" car in most of Europe, and I can't say I have that impression here in the states either.

NASIOC IS quite large with over 78,000 members. And yes, i have had the pleasure of humbling more exotic metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I still think the WRX boxer motor sounds terrible with a performance muffler ugh..
Really depends on which exhaust system it has. Period. I dont like all of them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru