Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Stepka, I agree when you say that much more is at work here. My point, however, is about Vit D and its relationship to good health, not exercise, diet, etc. which are other contributing factors in good health.

To give another example, are people who live in areas where they naturally get less sunlight than other places, Portland Ore, or Seattle Wash, for example, overall less healthy than people who live in Texas, where, believe me, you cannot avoid sunshine. Again, the answer is no.

Researchers come out with claims for miracle vitamins every few years. Remember the Vit E craze or the Vit C craze?

All things in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE2015 View Post
Should we get vitamin D from sunlight or supplements?

i've heard good and bad about taking it in pill form.
Yeap i agree with Myrc60 about how thru evolution it would be more natural to recieve via sunshine however i also realise the risk of UVA/UVB exposure to those with fair skin and the possible risks involved.

I'm caucasian but i tan super dark out in the sun (not fake orange) as i'm half southern Italian and those melanin sun genes (p53 gene) expresses when exposed to the suns rays.

From my readings over the last several years about Vitamin - D supplemental forms on my bodybuilding and fitness magazines the best form is the Cholecalciferol form. How much to take .... i can't answer that as i agree with WestWillow in that it may be best to get tested although for myself i take 5,000 i.u. a day along with sun exposure when ever i can.

Let me just lastly add that i don't come on these forums and always push vitamins or supplements as i myself rarely take any however when i see a mainstrean clinical research news release like this story come out over the wire then i may post it on here the Health and Wellness forums for others to read and make their own determination.

Sorry but i'm not an allopath or naturopath like many of the regulars on here always brag that they are

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 08-26-2010 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Add On - 6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements